SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shane_hatlee

Christmas Cactus repotting/cutting back help... after the fact

shane.hatlee
11 years ago

I just took a 60-70 year old Christmas cactus to a local gardening store for a repotting/life saving transplant and apparent cut back. I received this cactus from my Aunt who just recently lassed away. The cactus was given to her in her 20's as a marriage gift already full grown. She had it for 50 years and her mother in law for a long time before that. So it may well in fact be even older then I am assuming but ill never know. Anyway. It began to wilt a few months ago. Right after it bloomed. I waited for the blooms to fall off before watering. That seemed to make it worse. This beauty had arms that were almost 2 inch's thick at the soil and cascaded almost 5 feet. I couldn't risk losing it. So I took it in for a repot and soil change. I could see the salt build up on soil that looked as though it had never been changed. It was indeed root bound. VERY root bound, however it was the cut back that has me scared and angry. They trimmed it..... but It looks like Brittany spears did when she shaved her head. There is only 2 inches of each arm left above the soil. There are a lot of smaller new growth that had developed on them prior to the cutting. But thats all. This 4-5 foot wide and 5 foot long plant has been reduced to a brittany spears comparrison. Should they have cut the old green arms off???? They were woody. But not rotted. No disease.... just a very root bound plant. And I do realize that in 2 years it will be massive again but......

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting