SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jeepers13_gw

Shishi Gashira v. Chansonette v. Showa-No-Sakae?

19 years ago

Hey all~

I have the perfect spot for one of these lovelies, but not sure which one to buy. I'd appreciate any input if any of you have grown them.

I assume these are all technically hiemalis cultavars that eventually get 4-5'T x 6-8'W and have a more or less cascading habit.

If you have encountered one or more, could you please tell me the following:

How long & when do they flower for you?

How big have they grown?

What's your overall impression of them?

Thanks so much for your thoughts!

James.

Comments (8)

• 19 years ago

hi james,
    i have been growing 'shishigashira' since the mid-80's and it is definitely not cascading. after that many years, it is a dense, spreading shrub about 5'x5'. the flowering begins in fall (usually late september in my area) and continues sporadically through mid-winter. i have seen the occasional flower at christmas though the main flowering period is during october-november. during peak, it is a solid mass of small, bright pink flowers over glossy foliage on stiff branches and a fine plant, in my opinion.
    'chansonette' has more beautiful individual flowers and my shrub is still young. it is, however, already exhibiting a cascading form at less than 3' in height. it blooms later than 'shishigashira', more into winter here.
    i can't make a fair comparison of overall merit between these two because of the differences in ages but ,hopefully, 'chansonette' will become a favorite as well.
    just considering the individual flowers, 'chansonette' wins hands down.

• 19 years ago

I agree with Jeff. Just to add, the Showa is not so compact a grower, and can actually get pretty tall, but yes it has a strong spreading habit that gives it a cascading appearance as it grows larger. Its main attribute is that it is very floriferous, producing a showy profusion of light pink blooms, which shatter and produce a snow-like effect on the ground around the shrub as it is blooming. This is quite a show. Mine are small, but there are some in the neighborhood, planted near the street, that nearly cause wrecks when passersby see them in full bloom.

• 19 years ago

Hey guys, thanks for the advice - it's just what I was looking for!
    If the pictures online are true, I'd agree that Chansonette has a lovely and superior flower.
    Would you care to share with me the bloom periods you've observed for Chansonette and Showa?
    Thanks again,
    James.

• 19 years ago

I think Chansonette and Showa are both cultivars of ShiShi, so they all bloom about the same time which, in our region, is typically late autumn around November, as Jeff said. I am not sure about this, but I think Chansonette may bloom a little earlier than the other two, but they are basically all three the same blooming period.

• 19 years ago

Just a little more info:
    Here's a link to an Australian nursery that includes pic links and info on seasons and length of flowering for these camellias.
    James.

Here is a link that might be useful: red land nursery - sasanquas

• 19 years ago

Keep an eye out for 'Reverend Ida.' This is, I believe, a redder-flowered sport of Shishi Gashira. Green Nurseries in Alabama is wholesaling this. I lucked out and found one at a local nursery. I have several Shishi Gashira curving around our walkway, but they are small and so so so SLOW!

• 19 years ago

Well, there seems to be a consensus that Showa No Sakae is amazingly beautiful and long-flowering. I'm going to give it a try. And that beautiful Chansonette, too. Heck, next year I may squeeze out a spot for Shishi Gashira as well. I know I'm nuts, but these are so very lovely and I'm always impressed by plants that bother to flower after September.
    Click the link below for paghat's page on 'Showa-No-Sakae'. If you haven't visited her beautiful site, you should do so right now.
    James.

Here is a link that might be useful: Showa-No-Sakae: paghat's take.

Sponsored
More Discussions