SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tiffy_z5_6_can

Monarch questions.

tiffy_z5_6_can
15 years ago

Well, I've determined that I definitely don't have enough Asclepias for the Mamas and the cats. Not that my gardens are full of Monarchs, but there are at least four out there today laying eggs and I have at least 25 cats chomping away at the dozen or so plants which I presently have. We raised 13 of them in aquariums last year, but at this time I'm leaving things to Ma Nature since I have to be available for a surgery call for my father which means I might be away from the house for a few days.

First Q... I have more seeds I can sow. Our summers last until mid-October and our first frost is typically in early November. Do I have enough time to sow seeds for germination and survival this winter?

Second Q... Would it help if I put branches/twigs around the Asclepias where I have cats for them to climb on and form their chrysalis? When I did this last year I found them forming their chrysalis on the twigs I placed in the aquarium. There are no shrubs around the Asclepias and I thought doing this would help.

Thanks!

Comments (5)

Sponsored