SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
misssherryg

Red Admiral Eggs - Naturally!!

MissSherry
16 years ago

I see red admirals regularly here, but up until now, none have ever laid any eggs on my false nettles. I didn't give up, though, and I kept rooting more (they're one of the easiest plants to root) and more and planting them, until now I've got quite a bit of it growing in scattered sites. A few hours ago, while I was out in my garden a big RA fluttered up to my false nettles and laid egg after egg on the 2 plants growing there! Well, actually, there's a third, volunteer FN growing at the base of the fence, but it's still pretty small. She laid all her eggs on the flower stalks, so I didn't even try to find the eggs - the flower stalks have tiny little thingies on them that would make finding the tiny little eggs almost impossible!

Since I've been wanting, but not getting, RA eggs for so long, I've wondered what the problem was. Like I said, I see the adults regularly. I got some eggs from Edith earlier in the year, which resulted in 3 adults that I released about a ?month ago. Maybe this was one of those 3? Maybe RAs like to come back to the same area where they emerged as adults? Maybe it helped with the genetic diversity to add some Florida RAs to the mix? Maybe the hordes of RAs up north has something to do with it?

Dan/Cecropia sent me some RA eggs earlier that are now chrysalids - it can't hurt anything to add some Ohio RAs to this diversified group! And he sent me some more eggs recently - I want to get a picture of a Ohio RA cat, because instead of being black with yellow like the Florida cats, Dan's were black with burgundy red - interesting! I wonder what color (besides black) that these cats will be?

I think this shows that if you plant enough host plants, and the butterflies occur in your general area, you'll eventually be successful! YAY!!

MissSherry

Comments (15)

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012