SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
deep___roots

hummer story

deep___roots
12 years ago

Several weeks ago, I shared this photo of mama hummer as she covered her nest.

{{gwi:510063}}

This nest is only 7 feet off the ground and the branch can be pulled down, say if someone wanted to look into the nest without using a ladder to see if there were hatchlings, which is what I did last Thursday evening after work.

Yikes, there were 2 babies in there and they both tried to fly away. But they don't know how to fly yet. They were like 2 planes that had run out of gas and both made graceful little arcs down to ground. One landed on a path and one landed in some bushes. Further movement of any kind on their part did not seem to be an option. I thought, "That's it then, I've killed them."

But I thought I should attempt to get them back in the nest. So, wary of getting the human scent on them, I used a cardboard piece to corral the one on the path and lifted him up and he grabbed onto the nest...he wasn't in it, but he was close.

Now where was the other baby? I found her in the bushes and attempted the same cardboard lift. Except she jumped into my hand. So precious she was for I think this one was female, a little smaller than the first one. I placed her almost in the nest too. I couldn't do more. Of course mama hummer was flitting around during all this and my hope was she would resettle her babies into the nest so they would be warm and safe. I exited the scene and hoped for the best. I am happy to say it all worked out. These pictures were taken Sunday evening.

{{gwi:517946}}

{{gwi:517947}}

Comments (10)