SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
onederw

Calandrinias--companion plants?

onederw
12 years ago

Okay, so I bought these beautiful calandrinias with their great pale grey green foliage and bright flowers on those long, dancing stems. What the heck do I put them with?

That poke-your-eye-out orchid/fuchsia/cerise hue may be lovely with the grey green fleshy leaves, but it is definitely not a color that plays well with others. I have a lot of red and peach in my dry garden, which I've softened with blue tones. When I tried the calandrinia there, it stood out like RuPaul at Brooks Brothers. All suggestions welcome.

Kay

Comments (7)

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

Good luck there Kay. I finally moved them way to the back of the property, but they still screamed too loudly, so they went to live with the neighbor. Love that color!
    Renee

• wcgypsy
    12 years ago

Right now I'm keeping mine in pots...lots of pots...lol. This way there aren't large masses of that color, just accents.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    12 years ago

They look great with orange and yellow flowers, Agaves with yellow variegation, silver like Calocephalus brownii, blues like Agave 'Blue Glow'. A mass planting of them really looks great.

• onederw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Wow! Great suggestions! Thanks, everyone!! I will have to do some rethinking--the idea of 4-5 feet of calandrinias is about 2 feet more than I was anticipating. But that's part of what gardening is all about.

Kay

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

"RuPaul at Brooks Brothers." Heh heh heh. I'm still chuckling.

• PRO
    Kaveh Maguire Garden Design
    12 years ago

The contrasting colors of Calandrinias and Aloe striata are a lovely combo. Grasses might work well too. Echeverias and pretty much any other succulents would be a good choice.