SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
elaineoz_gw

500 black swallowtail eggs.....

elaineoz
16 years ago

Well, last summer I had planted a few fennel plants, I had let it go to seed, and this spring after I had raked my flower bed to level it, I had fennel everywhere! Well, I didn't have the heart to pull it out.

I went out there to really work in my garden last night, and I think the butterflies have been steadily at work since it finally stopped raining here. I have at least 500 eggs out there....Most of them are spread out amoung the fennel, but on one very small fennel plant there are probably 60 eggs. There is no way this little plant can support that many caterpillars. Any ideas of what to do with them. Right now, I am thinking about letting them all hatch, then when they get bigger moving them to different fennel plants, but I worry about hurting them, or dropping them while trying to get them onto a small fennel stalk, and honestly, I really do not like picking up caterpillars.

Bringing them inside is not a real great option, as I need a break from raising caterpillars, as this summer has gotten incredibly busy for me, they are going to have to do it the natural way outside.

I must say that it is crazy to see that many eggs on one small plant, and I am not sure exactly what to do about it.

Elaine

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals