SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mboston_gw

Thank you, Mama!

mboston_gw
16 years ago

I finally got a female ZLW to lay a couple of nice clusters of eggs on my Passionvine. Usually by now, I would have released probably a hunderd or so ZLWs but not this year. I have three in chrysalis now from an earlier female laying but those were the only eggs I could find. This gal laid some yesterday but this morning I have found two clusters, each with about a dozen eggs. Now if they only hatch, I will be back in business with raising ZLWs to release.

My Polys are quite numerous now and the Gulf Frits are definitely in greater numbers than I have ever seen.

Although I haven't seen but solitary females every once in a while, I am loaded with Eastern Black caterpillars of all stages. So far with the help of a friend who has an organic garden business, I have been able to feed them with his carrot tops. They sure do grow fast on them! But I counted at least 2 dozen more on my plants and there may not be enough carrot tops for them left.

I think I found about a half dozen Pipevine eggs. They are an inbetween yellow and orange color so will have to wait to see which they are.

As far as Monarchs, I found 3 pretty large ones near my totally leafless Milkweed. I don't know how they got as big as they did but I brought them in and let them finish off a plant I had inside. They are now safely in chrysalis and I just found two more tiny babies outside on the leafless plants. Poor things, guess I will be off to find more tomorrow for them to eat.

Still waiting for the Spicebush Swallowtails and Giants to come around long enough to lay some eggs. But overall I am feeling better, just to see some variety in my yard. Hope everyone else is seeing them too.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
John Romans Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full Service, Turn-Key Construction & Design Company