SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bobbi_p

Insight on comparative growth habits

bobbi_p
14 years ago

Hello,

I live on the far northwest side of Houston, Texas, which is technically considered zone 9 now, but given my microclimate, feel I'm just barely within a zone 9!

I'm looking to purchase a specimen camellia for winter color approx. 10 feet away from our pool north of an arbor that should provide considerably shade. It will be planted just in front of what I hope will become a solid citrus hedge between the 2 right hand posts in this photo.

{{gwi:503816}}

I'd like something in the darker pink color palette, and would love to try something with some fragrance. Through reading this forum, I'm considering "Fragrant Pink," "Kramer's Supreme," "Sweet Emily Kate," or "Scentsation."

Because I never know how long we will be living in this house, I would like to purchase a larger size shrub for instant presence. The local camellia society discouraged me, saying the transplant shock for a larger shrub is often worse than waiting the extra years for a small 1-2 year plant to establish.

So, for those of you with experience, of the varieties listed above, which will give me the densest, upright growth?

Also, what are your feelings on spending (nearly $200) on a large 10-15 gallon size specimen plant for instant impact?

Should I forget fragrance in lieu of a different dark pink camellia that grows faster/denser?

If other varieties are suggested, I'd prefer not to go with a single. All other flower forms are fine.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
More Discussions