SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rtich_gw

Cholla Cactus repotting

14 years ago

While visiting the Alamo, i picked up a young, small Cholla they sold at the gift shop, as a cutting from the Alamo Gardens (well worh a visit if in/near San Antonio). Before I flew home, it was recommended I seperate the cactus from the soil (also helpful to advise the TSA officers of the bag of soil in your bag first). When I got home I repotted the Cholla in the soil and watered a little to get it set. I know it is sometings better to not rewater, but... I checked the plant out a few days later and found the soil to be almost concere in texture. Was very slow/difficult to drain and it concerned me as this cactus needs good drainage (obviously). I decided to completely repot the cactus and after finally being able to chip away the other soil (literally had to hammer and chip away), I used Fafard Cacti ans Succulent mixture). I know this is very different from it's native soil. The plant is about 6-8" tall with two branches, no spines/barbs and the branches have many soft green shoots (I know I am using the wrong terminology). Did I make a big mistake by switching the soils? Any recommendations? I did try to mix the two soils, but the result was still a very hard, poor draining mixture. Thanks.

Comment (1)