SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
medha_nanal

Any experience planting veggies cluttered together?

homey_bird
13 years ago

Hi,

Last year, a few rotten tomatoes thrown into my compost pile (in the ground, not in the bin) had their seeds sprouted and gifted me with handsome 50+ tomato plants!

Although I had wanted to, I did not have the heart to separate the plants and plant them in regular rows etc. as is advised.

My experience with this huddled-together planting was phenomenal. The plants soon formed a canopy that covered the ground completely (due to their proximity) and that helped prevent the drying out of my garden beds. Throughout the summer, I do not recall a single time when my tomato plants seemed thirsty, inspite of getting blasted with Sun for 6-8 hours or more. Sure, it was a bit of a pain to support them but overall this was very very successful experiment. I got no fungus, no bugs either (thanks to the location).

So -- I wanted to share this and find out if any of you have been generally informal in planting the seedlings outside, or still plant individual seedlings at a distance. I am taking my tomato seedlings (sprouted indoors this time) and am considering repeating this model.

Also, plan to repeat this for beans, cukes and some other veggies that I plan to grow this season.

Any comments or concerns? Thanks in advance!

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022