SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
susanlynne48

Things happening in garden

susanlynne48
15 years ago

I am fast running out of fennel, so I may have to resort to feeding the BSTs some zizia and Rue. I think they will make the switch. I have 6 big fennel plants in the garden - can you believe it's almost gone? I've even been feeding them the flowers (which they love) in order to not have a bigger wasp problem than my pet friend, the red wasp (not).

I'm curious as to the numbers of BSTs we are having (not complaining) when I'm not seeing the other ones much. Very strange. You'd think I would have a low population of them this year since we're having an "off" year.

I noticed yesterday that I have ladybugs and ladybug cocoons all OVER my Asclepias incarnata - finally am seeing them! Also seeing lots of little praying mantids, which are considered beneficials for many things but not when they like my babies!

My pussytoes has died back, too. MissSherry do you know anything about whether this is another one of those host plants that dies back in the heat and returns in cooler weather?

The False Nettle has remained untouched even though I see the RAs flying. The patch has grown to about 4.5' tall and 5' in width. Just waiting for some RAs. I may pull up some of it next year because I don't think that even a plethora of RAs would consume all of it.

My GST is just sitting in its container right now. I hope it is not trying to expire. I put a sprig of fresh Rue in it everyday. They are just soooooooo slow.

I have 5 pupating BSTs right now, and soon will increase. I still have tons and tons of eggs on the fennel - that's why I'm going to have to give them another food source if I'm able to rescue them b4 the Freddy Kruger the Red Wasp, gets them.

I brought in some eggs I found on the seedpods of my Senna hebecarpa. I think they are green stink bugs. However, the green stink buts, I have researched, are actually foliage eaters and not predators. I just wanted to see what they look like when they hatch. There are 3 different types of stink bugs - foliage eaters; flower/bud eaters; and predatorial. So, know your stink bug!

My incarnata blooms are being eaten by the darned milkweed bugs! Guess it's okay, since they are perennial.

None of my curly parsley survived that I planted, so I'm disappointed in it. The regular parsley grows fine for me. What up?

I hope that no one in the forum suffered damage because of the hurricane on the Texas gulf!

Susan

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz