SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
brindlebutt

Helping my monarch cats

brindlebutt
14 years ago

Since July 4, I have found 8 tiny cats, and neighbor nearby has at least 1. What joy! This is my first time with a butterfly garden and cats. Please advise: what can I do to help the little guys, except letting them feed on my fair-sized asclepias (tuberosa and curassavica)collection? I have been making bridges between smaller plants to larger plants, and try to move them close into the "jungle" of asclepias. They have lots of food and nectar plants. I am hesitant about moving them into a "cage" at this stage - scared I won't get it right. The asclepias available is substantial, and there are sturdy bushes close by, including a limelight hydrangea. Do they have what they need to build a chrysalis on? Would it help to put a ready made metal scroll decorative edge piece near by, perhaps partly protected by the "jungle?" Will they crawl to where they need to go? Also, do I have to change the way I water my garden? Should I use a watering can, or can a hose with a misting setting work? Should I put a protective netting over them (some of the asclepias is in the ground, some is in large pots)? Should I bring the cat into a "cage" when it is much larger and let it form a chysalis there? I want to do all I can to help them survive and join their friends.

Comments (2)

Sponsored