SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
micyrey

such a sad sight. :(

Michelle Reynolds
16 years ago

hi all

yesterday I went to my usual place down my the river to get fresh milkweed for my cats. I stoped at the largest patch ( at least it was) what I saw made me so mad, someone had come by and mowed the entire patch to the grownd. there was over a hundered plantd in this patch. so I went down the road a little farther, it looked like they didn't finish yesterday, and would probubly finish today.

so we went all down the road and carfully checked each milkweed for occupents. there was a female flitting around laying eggs, so I followed her and when ever she layed eggs on a plant I felt was in the mowers range I took the leaf off the plant. this went on for far longer than I expected to be at the river, but I just could not bare to think of all the eggs getting mowed.

in the end we went home with 22 eggs and 4 very small cats.

I have never collected eggs before. I cut a small area around each egg and stuck them to a sheet of paper and hung it from the side of my butterfly cage.

is there anything special I should do for them eather before or after they hatch?

I will be planting a milkweed patch at my in-laws house next year, I think the spot will be able to hold about 50 plants, so I have another question, when do you pick the seed pods?

thanks for any help

michelle

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus