SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ann85_gw

will painted lady cats eat mustard?

ann85
15 years ago

I came home from work last night to hear my children telling me that our most recent chrysalis (cabbage white) had hatched. In addition, our cage was full of small cats. Now I need to figure out what they are so we can feed them. In the cage was mustard and milkweed. Also the one cabbage white butterfly but no mate. Abound June 8 we released 5 painted ladies. If they had laid eggs these may be their offspring. (They look like painted lady cats) They are eating the mustard. I did not think painted ladies ate mustard. I know they eat thistle but does that mean just the typical sticker plant. I went out last night to pull some from my neighbors shrubs but they obviously picked this week to get serious about weeding:) So I could not find any in the dark. So I guess the point of my rambling is a few questions.

1) Could the eggs have been in there from the painted ladies and we missed them?

2) Will painted ladies eat mustard?

3) Does the term thistle include a sticker plant weed?

4)Our last tiny cat was a monarch and he died despite having plenty of fresh milkweed. Any advice on caring for the tiny ones? I wondered if he needed more humidity or something. I mist my chrysalis's but not my cats.

Thanks, Ann

Comment (1)

Sponsored