SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
luxum

Ideas for Neoregelia companions?

luxum
19 years ago

I have a window box on my balcony railing which is currently planted with several types of medium and mini Neoregelias (2 established pups of a medium sized green/white varigate that blushes red in the center when it flowers, and establishing offsets of sarmentosa, 'Brazilian Pepper', and maculata from Tropiflora, if you are curious). There is some unfilled space that will obviously be filled in as the small offsets mature and begin throwing pups. In the meantime, i'd like to plant something to make the box look full.

The box receives only morning sun (and all but the sarmentosa have colored up nicely), bright mottled shade the rest of the day. I water occasionally during our dry season, which is winter/spring. During the summer we usually have daily torrential rains and the box is watered exclusively by the run off from the roof. I can protect the box from the occasional freeze. One of the attractions for using Neos in the box is that they require little care from me and look oh so fabulous.

Anyone have ideas for something that would grow well with the same treatment as the Neos get? I have used moss rose, but it gets too much water in the summer and doesn't really get enough sun to flower well. The candidate needs to either trail down or be fairly tall compared to the medium sized Neo which is 12-14" or so. I appreciate any suggestions.

Comments (6)

Sponsored