SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ladobe

Things that go bump in the night.

13 years ago

I was sitting out on my patio enjoying the cooling night air about 2:45 this morning (taking a break right after making another post to this forum). Heard what sounded like a big old B-29 bomber lumbering along under full power flying low and close when I was suddenly hit hard in the chest. Before I could look down I felt the sharp stabs and bites of something that was definitely lodged on my sleeveless cotton shirt. So I grabbed a handful and worked at pulling it free. It was like the Keystone Cops trying to get all the tarsal claws and the mandibles all free at the same time. It hissed, clawed and bit but I finally got it free (and now have a hole in my shirt and hide). I brought it inside and put it in the freezer for a little while to calm it down for pictures.

At 3.5" long, not counting the 1.5" antennae (5" total length), and about an inch wide this female was a handfull. SheÂs a Derobrachus geminatus (Palo Verde Root Borer), the largest beetle we have in North America. They can grow to over 4". She was headed for the Palo Verde trees in front of my bungalow, probably to hide eggs in the bark, but was waylaid by my light that was reflecting off my white shirt. Since her larvae could very easily kill the trees she will become a resident of my synoptic Coleaoptera collection. IÂll get her pinned, but will put her in a cage in one of my storage garages to dry. A beetle this big can be a powerful stink (that I don't need in my home) until completely dried and aged.

Larry

{{gwi:498351}}

With choppers like these itÂs no wonder I have holes in my shirt (and hide).

{{gwi:498352}}

Comments (18)

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living