SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thuringiensis

Coastal CA Viability Question

Thuringiensis
10 years ago

Hello,

I've had trouble finding good resources around climate questions as they relate to coastal regions (e.g. santa monica, mar vista, manhattan beach, malibu and so forth) ) of LA.

I'm about 1/3 mile from the ocean at around 300 ft elevation, and the climate is definitely a micro-climate. This has been a real pain when my friends several miles inland have great luck with berries and apricots and so forth, but I lack the chill days to pull it off well. I also seem to get different pests and growth patterns. And we get strong fog this time of the year, which isn't the case if you go 10 blocks more inland.

Anyway, does anyone have any general wisdom or better yet a strong online resource around coastal gardening in this area?

Some quick questions that come to mind that I'd love speculation on:

1) Should I ever bother trying low-chill blueberries? How about strawberries?

2) Which fruit tree varieties other than citrus, figs, avocado and pomegranate have a fighting chance? Within those 4, are there any special varieties that you'd strong recommend? Open to suggestions! Anyone had good luck with stone fruits of any sort in this situation?

3) Are there any good resources around chill hour counts or success in this microclimate that anyone can suggest? I feel like there's great info for SoCal gardening in general, but not for very close to the coast.

4) Would you recommend using perennial nightshades perennially, or replanting in this climate?

Thanks!

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting