SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dirtgirl_wt

pipevine cat query...bear with me, I'm a relative newbie

dirtgirl
16 years ago

Hey everybody.

I made up my mind a few years back that although I knew a little bit about our local butterflies/moths, I desperately needed a decent field guid to help me sort out the cats as well. You folks gave some really good advice, and now I own a copy of Wagner's Caterpillars of North America. Wonderful!!

Well, yesterday it came in handy once again. I had just started down the road through the woods for an afternoon stroll and spotted a cat crossing in front of me. I'd never seen anything quite like it and took it back to the house so I could reference my guide with subject in hand. Turns out it was a pipevine swallowtail, a butterfly I've never seen around here before, and now I have to figure out where it's been doing breakfast, lunch, and dinner. We are lucky here to have plenty of zebras, spicebush, tigers, and even a single giant swallowtail two years ago. The trouble is, we have the right kind of habitat for the pipevine hosts here, with 20 acres of low, seasonally flooded woodland, but in 15 years of living here I'll be danged if I ever saw any of it. I have to be overlooking something, but where? Do they absolutlely not utilize passiflora? We do have a lot of maypop here...I've tried doing searches on the many different snakeroots and other given hosts also on this forum and none of them look familiar whatsoever.

If anyone can post actual images of some of the more common host plants and not a link to a database technical rendering, that might be a big help. I am , BTW, in southern Illinois...Jefferson county.

And thanks for putting up with my obvious lack of knowledge.

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus