SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stacian_gw

Evergreen vine for wood fence - would like to cover in a year

stacian
12 years ago

First off - apologies for the long post and all the questions. I deeply appreciate everyone's help. =)

I would love to know if I need to plant more vines in the following situation:

We live in Venice where our neighbors are quite close to us and have a long, sturdy, 7 ft high wooden fence on one side of our property that runs the length of the lot - approx 60 ft. The fence is firmly rooted into the ground but we're seeing the backside of it, as it belong to our neighbor, and it isn't pretty, especially the portion where we look out from a big bay window. :/

In a shady area in the back, we have planted one 2' tall creeping fig plant that has not seemed to grow at all in two months! Am I doing something wrong? I chose creeping fig because it's evergreen and it will self-cling (we don't want to put up trellis everywhere). Do you think this will cause damage to the wood fence? I don't anticipate ever taking it down. Just having the gardeners trim to keep it close to the wall. How long will this take to cover our 20' wall that is 7' tall? Should I plant more if I want to cover the area in a year or less?

In front of the bay window, for scent and blooms, we have put up some trellises and planted some cape honeysuckle, purple honeysuckle, and madagascar jasmine about 8 feet apart about two months ago on the wall exposed to the bay window but they haven't seemed to grow at all. Is this normal? I know it's not spring or summer but we've had a mild winter and some of the "summer" or "spring" flowering plants are still flowering.

Do we need some more plants? I would like the wall mostly covered in about a year. We have gardeners that come weekly so I'm not so worried about the area being taken over and the trimming, my primary concern is just getting the area covered.

Phew! Thanks again for reading and any information you might have.

I'd be grateful for any other plant suggestions that would grow FAST!

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz