SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caterwallin

Pipevine Swallowtail Explosion

caterwallin
13 years ago

Last year was the first year I got them here, and this year I'm really busy with them. So far this week I've released 127 PVS butterflies, so if any of you in PA see some in your yard tomorrow for the first time, they probably came from here. ;-)

No sooner do I release them than some of them want to start on the next generation. Today when I went out and walked past the coneflowers, I saw 5 pairs mating at the same time. I had to chuckle when I saw a male flying around searching for a female. I think they were all taken and he tried to join a pair that were already together. He flew away to another flower looking very frustrated. lol

I've noticed females for the past several days flying around the pipevines, apparently looking for a place to lay eggs. After having over 200 chow down on the vines, I'm hoping that I'll have enough for the next batch. I just put bat guano at the base of the vines and watered them well, hoping to give them a boost. It's been really dry here and I've been watering them every day.

I don't know if it matters if siblings mate, but I hope not. I hate to have deformed butterflies. I just had 2 today that couldn't get out of their pupas...sad.

I just brought in a few Wild Indigo Duskywing eggs that I found on my Baptisia australis and will raise them. I was too busy about a month ago when I noticed some WID eggs out there on the plants, and I don't think they made it because I never noticed any cats after that. When I was looking for WID eggs, I also saw some real narrow eggs on the plants like a sulphur egg would look. I never had any sulphur eggs, but I've seen pictures on here before (just can't remember the color). Does any kind of sulphur lay eggs on B. australis? If so, then I wasn't aware of that.

Also, I can't remember what lays eggs that are on a thread/filament/straight thin thingy (those were on it too). I remember reading about that on here already but can't think what it was. I did a search and everything came up but the information I'm looking for.

Others that I've raised so far this year are about a dozen American Ladies that I found on the pussytoes and 2 Question Marks that were on a small hackberry tree that I still have growing in a pot. I've seen a Monarch a couple of times (don't know if it was the same one, probably not since they weren't consecutive days or even close to it), but I haven't gotten any eggs yet on my milkweed. I told my husband that if I get a lot of Monarch eggs, I'm getting the butterfly cage out of where I have it stored here. After raising about 220 PVS in small plastic shoebox type storage containers (I have lots of them), I'm not doing that again or he'll have to commit me! :-O Ha! Seriously, it's very time consuming! I like raising cats but a cage is the way to go.

Cathy

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH