SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sandwhy

Red Admirals! and silly questions

sandwhy
16 years ago

Wow! Banner day for Red Admirals here in Chicago! I counted around 30 today, all over the flowers, the side of the house, me - amazing! I know Eric in Madison encountered 200+ a few days back - but my "low" numbers are a first here. Anyone else seeing this kind of RA activity?

They also seemed to love our Linden tree in our back yard. I recall Eric saying the same thing... interesting that they love those blooms so much! don't really see other butterflies going after it.

Now, for some silly questions:

1) Does a male monarch ever magically turn into a female? I was watching 2 males around the yard, hoping to get a photo of a female ovipositing... but alas, no females. Ten minutes later there are TWO females laying eggs all over my milkweed! And no sight of the males! I'm just saying.... it was rather sneaky of the males to suddenly change gender on me! ;)

2) Are female monarchs really that dumb? I mean, the love-them-and-leave-them of the above mentioned males I can understand, but I watched today as a female oviposited on a big Joe-Pye Weed leaf. Ok, messing up one time is understandable. Joe-Pye is rather close to the milkweed. Then, however, she laid an egg on the other side of the milkweed - on the lilac bush! good grief!

3)Is this a snout? My first, whatever it is!

{{gwi:495884}}

4)Is this Red Admiral looking battered or what? Still pretty cute, though.

{{gwi:495886}}

Ok that's all for now.

Sandy :)

Comments (14)

Sponsored