SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caterwallin

Questions about American Ladies

caterwallin
15 years ago

Has anyone here ever tried to raise them inside? Last year I saw two American Lady butterflies here and I didn't notice any cats on the pussytoe plants that I have, so I assumed that the female left without laying eggs. The plants weren't very big then, as I had just planted them in the spring, so I thought that maybe they weren't big enough to host any cats and the butterflies somehow knew that. Okay, they probably don't know that, but I didn't know why the two of them were hanging around here, yet there were no cats. I was so busy with other things that I didn't stop to look for eggs on the plants. I did notice that the plants had a dried up look like they were dying, which I thought was because of the drought, so I watered them every day. Now I'm wondering if those cats were on them last year and that's why the leaves looked that way and then they overwintered. Are they a type of cat that overwinters? I'm thinking that they must be because I haven't seen any American Lady butterflies here yet this year, not many of any kind actually, so I don't know how eggs could have gotten laid this year.

The cats on the plants are a fairly big size. I actually noticed pretty many leaves that have a sewn together look. Do they do that to hide? I hope that there's enough of the plants there for them to eat. I had been planning on making an entire pussytoes bed where those 3 are, just extend the bed to include about 30 plants or so, but things didn't go according to plan. I had ordered plantainleaf pussytoes seeds from PMN but none of them came up, so I'm putting that project off until next year. Maybe that plant is hard to grow from seed. I was going to gather the seeds from my plants but it seems like they were there and gone like a week or so later, so now I have none. I'm actually kind of glad that it has worked out the way it did because I already have way too many planting projects to do for this year. I spent April, May and now this month digging sod to extend my one garden, and I also put in a vegetable garden, and I started a lasagna bed in February (yeah, it was cold outside) and am waiting for everything in it to rot up before I plant the plants.

I wintersowed almost everything and was going to plant everything straight into the ground from my milk jugs, but it has taken me so long to dig sod that the plants are too crowded in the jugs. So I've been spending my days digging and my nights transplanting the stuff into other containers. In the meantime I have weeds starting to come up in the spots where I already have it dug. lol There's a method to my madness really! Ha.

Anyway, anything that you can tell me about the AL would be appreciated. I love to hear other people's stories of their cat raising anyway. Oh, I was going to say that I don't think I'll bring these in to raise because they might be a hard one to raise what with the leaf sewing if they do that. I wouldn't know what's what and probably end up killing them. Oh, I felt just terrible last night when I was feeding the BST's. I did a horrible thing! I accidentally killed one! I went to take some rue sprigs out of a florist tube and didn't even think to look at the bottom for a tiny cat and didn't realize I squashed it until after I did it. :( Now I feel like an awful cat mom. I think I'm going crazy because I even apologized to it! :-O I hope I don't do that again. It just made me feel sick.

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County