SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sultry_jasmine_nights_fl9

OT: Japanese Morning Glories

Who all is growing JMG this year? I'm in love with these plants lol. I found a great deal if you want to try a few of 26 different kinds.

I bought some of these from this seller a few mos ago and got 100 percent gemination. I have several different ones with variegated leaves they are sooo cute! The packs of JMGs usually sell for 10 to 12 dollars a pack so its expensive to get a lot of diffent ones like I wanted. This way its like a sampler pack. A little of everything lol.

Just thought I would pass this along.

I don't think you have to be a 'paid member' to buy from DG marketplace. Here's the link to the pictures.

Here is a link that might be useful: JMG

Comments (16)

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oh yeah, I was gonna tell you that Morning Glorys are great for growing up the brugmansia. They get to the top and then bloom. They kinda fill in when the brugs aren't blooming much and keep going till frost here.
    Here's some blooming in Naughty Nick last year when NN was being very naughty and not blooming lol.
    {{gwi:476974}}

Here's some later when it was blooming
    {{gwi:446324}}

• napdognewfie
    14 years ago

I have 'Blue Silk' seeds from last year & I will start 3 or 4. They are really pretty but I never thought of climbing them up the Brugs. Good idea! Now I'm tempted to get those seeds but do I really need 52 MG plants??? LOL I would like some of those pretty salmon-colored ones though.

Linda

Original Author
    14 years ago

I love that orangish one too and also the blue one with the flecks through it. I will post photos of mine when they bloom. I bought one of this set and one of a different set a few mos ago as well. I think the variegated foilage MGs will look nice with the brugs that have plain leaves. I get tired of looking at just green foilage when no brugs are blooming lol.

• napdognewfie
    14 years ago

Check out the price for these. Whoa!
    Japanese Morning Glory Seeds
    Akatsuki No Tsuyu BlueSilk
    ebay Item number: 120364194769

I have a few extra if you want some.

Linda

• karyn1
    14 years ago

I just started some of my MG's 2 days ago. I have mainly Japanese varieties. My favorite last year was the Kikyo Sky Blue. I collected seeds and hope they come true. I also like the Hige varieties. I have loads of extra MG seeds if anybody wants some but they are all mixed together. I also grow them in my brug pots.

• fool4flowers
    14 years ago

Great idea growing them up in the brugs. I'll have to try that. Very pretty.

• luvmy3afhounds
    14 years ago

Thanks for sharing your idea of growing MG's in the brug pots! I will give that a try! I guess they don't strangle out the brug!!!??? What a wealth of info on this site!
    Thanks to all!
    Joyce

• givelittle_getlots
    14 years ago

great idea indeed. IF your brugs are tall enough so the MG have something to climb up right? Or then otherwise what joyce said might happen?

Lucy

• karyn1
    14 years ago

MG's won't strangle a brug. If they seem to be overtaking them just pull them away and put some stakes in for them to climb or you can cut them back. They have very soft stems.

Original Author
    14 years ago

I think bue MG's would look great with yellow brugs. Or pink or lavender with variegated leaves with a double white brug would look really nice. There's endless color combinations to spruce things up. I think I will try to be more adventurous this year lol.

You could try putting a stake next to them if they are too short and grow some that way or place the potted brug in front of a trellis until they are large enough-MGs make a good backdrop for brugs. Here's a photo with a trellis behind a brug bed there are reg. Heavenly Blue MGs in the right hand corner of the photo. Its not a good photo because they aren't blooming that much but you can get the idea lol.
    {{gwi:446322}}

Moonvines look good too and are open at night when the MGs are closed. They also attract hawk moths to the brugs. There are white moonvines and also a lavender pinkish one that isn't as fragrant as the white.
    {{gwi:452155}}

• eloise_ca
    14 years ago

Wow, beautiful pictures Lennette! Are these all currently blooming in your garden? That reminds me, yesterday I notice a small, small Shooting Star brug with a bud! I have to keep my eye on it so I can take a pix when the bud opens.

• fool4flowers
    14 years ago

Very pretty. I accidently grew the red cypress vine on mine last year, lol. I thought John was going to croak. He kept saying its choking Charles! Get it off! Roflmao. It was actually holding Charles up. I never had any trouble with him blowing around in the high winds like some of the others, lol. I had it on a obelisk thing and it jumped from there to Charles Grimaldi and wound around his neck, lol. I thought it was cool and didn't hurt it any. It was pretty with the soft foliage and bright red blooms. I think I'll do it again. Evil cackle...... I'll put it next to the Hawaiian Double White this time. The colors will look better together with the red and white flowers. Ooooh, I can't wait. Man I need to go to sleep, lol.

Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks. No these aren't blooming like that right now (I wish lol) this was from fall/early winter before we got a huge freeze down into the low 20s. They are all recouperating right now. I've had only had a few blooms this spring (on MEM and Ila Marie so far).
    LOL that's funny about the cypress vine choking dh's Charles! Yes definitely put his HDW next to a MG this year. Hmmm you could even do red, white, and blue colors. (Red- red cypress, blue- Heavenly Blue MG, and white-HDW or white MGs or moonvine :P)
    Your dh sounds like mine. My dh is mostly just possessive about 'his' plumeria lol. You should of seen him pout when I knocked a big limb off his favorite one trying to get it out of the garage with the handtruck. Maybe I should plant a MG next to it and see what happens lol.

• fool4flowers
    14 years ago

Oooh, they would make good vine poles too, lol. Gonna get me killed girl, lol. I do have a whole bunch of Moonflower seeds I found just starting to sprout in a pot today. I can put one on Naughty Nick. That thing grows so fast and won't bloom until winter again probably. Would be a perrrfect candidate. (He says its his too, lol. I have some morning glories I got started today. I'm gonna put the blue ones on his Shredded White and the cypress vine on Hawaiian double white. Roflmao. He actually let me put a climbing rose in his bed today so I am going to sneak some clematis on the trellis tomorrow when he isn't looking, lol. I got all these dang vines to put on that big round gazebo but he hasn't helped me make the bed to plant them all so maybe he will get the hint when they are choking his other plants. I put an evergreen wisteria on one of the arbors today and an tangerine crossvine on the other. I wonder they will eat them in year or not, lol. Also put moonvines on both. I forgot to put a moonvine on the one rose trellis but I did the other one. I guess I was thinking about the clematis but I could put both. Oh my jasmine vine is blooming and smells so good. They look like little pinwheels. Going to get some bad storms tonight. I sure hope it doesn't hail on my newly planted stuff. Oh, I got a cool flower in the bed that popped up. I thinks its a fancy shredded sort of poppy. I gotta go take a pic before the storm kills it flat! Talk to you later.

• threas
    14 years ago

Oooh, Lennette! Great idea! Beautiful pix too!

Theresa

• ibartoo
    14 years ago

I love to plant them with the brugs and I just gotta have a mexican sunflower with bright blue morning glory vines in it.
    Linda

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz
Best of Houzz 2024: The results are in!