SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stitzelweller

Vriesea fosteriana var seideliana PUPS

stitzelweller
16 years ago

I imported one of these plants in 2004 from a reliable source--Alvim Seidel. It was a stunningly beautiful foliage bromeliad!. In May, 2007 the plant initiated a flower spike--hardly stunning. By late summer, a pup emerged immediately above the potting media. It grew slowly at first.

I removed half of the spike on the autumnal equinox. It seemed that the pup's growth rate quickened. Coincidence?

I'm not paying close attention to the plant other than to make certain that it is adequately watered. About two weeks ago, I noticed 3 new pups in the leaf axils! I trimmed the spike further down, below where the "flowers" were located. Today, I looked closely again. Now, I have 4 pups in the leaves plus the one below, all looking very healthy.

My questions for the experienced growers: Should I leave the plant alone or should I consider culling pups? I'm concerned that the mother plant won't be able to support 5 healthy pups simultaneously while heading into the "dead" of winter. I have no fear of culling pups, if necessary and recommended. The "beauty" of the mother plant has deteriorated noticeably, however it seems healthy. I understand that it isn't going to get any better looking!

This is my first large Vriesea with pups. I'm looking for guidance.

Thanks,

--Stitz--

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz
More Discussions