SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
misssherryg

Long-Tailed Skipper Caterpillar

MissSherry
15 years ago

Several years ago - I can't remember how many - I tried to raise a few long-tailed and silver-spotted skipper cats, but they didn't survive, so I figured there might be some trick to raising them that I didn't know about. Recently, I found a LTS cat on some desmodium paniculatum - their favorite local host plant - and I've decided to try and raise just this one. Right now it's on its branch in a water pick in a reptarian cage with other cats. I've put some oak leaves on the bottom of a 'critter keeper', and I'll put its desmodium in another small Tupperware type container, which I'll nestle into the oak leaves. I'll set the entire 'critter keeper' in the reptarian cage. I think I remember reading somewhere that they like to pupate in the loose litter at the base of their host plant - this will simulate it the best I can. I love the looks of LTSs - their teal coloring is beautiful to me - so I sure hope this works out!

Here's a picture I took of the little cat when it was out of its leaf shelter eating -

{{gwi:463425}}
Sherry

Comments (31)

Sponsored