SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caterwallin

Is anyone else missing butterflies?

caterwallin
11 years ago

I thought it was going to shape up to be a good butterfly year when I had so many Wild Indigo Duskywings (which I haven't seen lately), and now all that I've been seeing are Cabbage Whites and an occasional Eastern Tiger Swallowtail. My coneflowers are starting to bloom now and the Verbena bonariensis has been blooming for about two weeks, but nobody is here to nectar on anything but the CW's. They love that verbena! Maybe our wet spring has something to do with the lack of butterflies. If so, I hope it's not going to be a trend. My tropical milkweed is fairly big now but I haven't seen a single Monarch.

It's not that I haven't had any butterflies here at all this year, but it's like they were here (what few there were) and then they disappeared. I've been releasing Red Admirals after a mama was here several weeks ago and laid eggs on the false nettle. There also must have apparently been a Black Swallowtail here because I found several cats on the dill. I haven't seen any Giants or Pipevines or...well, much of anything. I hope that it soon picks up. I'm glad that I was able to pretty much catch up in the gardens because of not spending time on raising much of anything, but now it would be nice if some other butterflies would start showing up. Those good ole Cabbage Whites, I can always count on them to be here even if nobody else is. I think I might have idea, though, where all of the butterflies are hanging out...down at Miss Sherry's place! ;-)

I'll post a picture from last year to try out this new feature.

Cathy

Comments (5)

Sponsored