SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bernergrrl

Baltimore Checkerspots may actually be Harris' Checkerspots?

bernergrrl
15 years ago

Sigh, I may not have Baltimores afterall. I thought it might be a possibility because I read how close the two species are. Someone from Native plants forum thinks the plants I found these guys on is aster umbrellatus (sp?), which is the host plant for Harris'.

I took a close up picture, and I will quote David Wagner below. What do you all think? Also, I got a pic of the chrysalis. It's cloudy put today, and the chrysalis is in an awkwars position, so I couldn't get a shot where I could see the focus well. I only got one decent pic. Maryann, I'm hoping you'll read this and see if this looks like a BC. But then, would the two species chrysalises look alike?

{{gwi:491249}}

{{gwi:491253}}

Wagner's description about the differences between the two:

"Caterpillars of Harris' have more T2 and A9 with more orange, transverse orange bands are interrupted at the level of the sphericles, and small yellow spots follow sphericles on A1-A8. Branches of dorsal scoli needlelike, less than half the height of the scolus; in Baltimores, more hairlike, nearly as long as scolus height."

I'm not sure I understand all of the scolus stuff...does he mean the little hairs off the original scolus, the one that emerges out of the caterpillar?

Thanks!

Comments (7)

Sponsored