SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
floridabear

OLD Christmas Cactus....Anyone??

17 years ago

I posted in the heirloom forum this question/issue, then I thought that it might fit here as well. LONG story short. I HAD a 'Christmas Cactus' that was 100 years old. It was my great grandmothers. It was HUGE! Obviously it had been in the family for over 100 years...and it passed to me. LONG story short. It fell off its perch one day over 3 years ago, and broke a huge arm off. No matter how hard I tried I couldn't get any part of it to root. Then one by one, the arms rotted and fell off. And I didnt get a single stem rooted before it finally died. I managed to kill it, after it was in my care for the past 20 years. BUT I cant find any cuttings,or rooted plants of this OLD type of Christmas Cactus. I have plenty of the new ones, as a matter of fact, my new Gold ones, that I have had for 5 years,is in a basket with 3 other colors, bloomed just after Christmas, and is now blooming AGAIN! I am in shock! It didn't put out even 1 new leaf, and the entire basket is in full bloom, all 4 colors,I have never seen this happen! Anyway...I am searching for someone that has the OLD OLD Christmas cactus...not the new hybrid type, it has the long soft slender leaves/stems that hang, not like the new hybrids that stand upright nearly. It had soft pink flowers that hung down, so I am searching for the old type Christmas cactus. I guess it is one of the original ones that all the new hybrids were bred from? I figured more people would see it in THIS forum instead of the 'exchange' section...so before I ask for that...I thought I'd find out if anyone had this plant??? It seems to be VERY hard to find. So..does anyone have it and know how to root it and be willing to help me start my own 'heirloom' Christmas Cactus to pass on in the family? Please?

Comments (4)