SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wombattica

Swamp Milkweed Beetles -- does anything eat them?

wombattica
13 years ago

Relatively new garden (and relatively new gardener!) and this is the first year I've had enough swamp milkweed to even think about supporting a monarch caterpillar, assuming one were to show up. However, what I've got are one or two swamp milkweed beetles.

Despite extensive googling, I can't find any notes on things that eat them (their diet of milkweed apparently makes them taste bad) or that they themselves eat anything but milkweed. Are they really a brightly colored dead end on the food chain? Has anybody seen anything preying on them in their gardens, or do they all die of old age in tiny milkweed beetle nursing homes?

They don't seem to be doing much of anything to the milkweed--the plants were more disrupted by the nursery web spiders, who webbed a bunch of leaves into a big ball. I've got no problem with them as long as they don't achieve infestation levels--I'm growing the plants for bugs to eat! I just wonder if anything else makes use of them, if some predator will eventually put on an appearance, or if they just hang out, look pretty, and occasionally strip the milkweed bare.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH