SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bandjzmom

Raising Zebra Swallowtail Caterpillars

bandjzmom
10 years ago

I live in NW Georgia. On 6/8/13, I was fortunate enough to find 4 Zebra Swallowtail caterpillars on my Pawpaw (Asimina triloba) trees. The trees have been in the yard for between 3-5 yrs, and I have NEVER seen a Zebra caterpillar or butterfly on them. In fact, I have seen exactly one adult Zebra Swallowtail in my whole life, and that was here in my yard back in 2008. All of that to stress the importance of planting host plants! Of course, I wanted to bring the caterpillars in for hand raising, and that is what I did. I am ever thankful for this wonderful forum where I was able to get advice on raising Zebra Swallowtail caterpillars from someone who has successfully raised them herself. If not for her advice, I am certain that I would have failed miserably. Elisabeth (bananasinohio) told me that Zebras have special rearing needs, and she was kind enough to share them step by step. I will copy and paste her exact words in the following post. After that, I will post my Zebra Swallowtail rearing photo pictorial. I hope that this helps someone at some time in the future.~~Angie

Comments (92)

Sponsored