SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fledgeling_

Growing Plains Milkweed (Asclepias pumila)

Fledgeling_
16 years ago

There is new development sprawling out onto the hayfields around our house. I have permission from the developer to rescue plants from the land before he develops it. I have rescued many native plants and shrubs so far and have a native prairie garden that receives the rescues. With seed and plants collected from the area I have a thriving wild garden that is very attractive to wildlife and preserves the plants that were found in the area before human settlement (most of the area is farmland here and this is one of the few hayfields.)

I recently identified a clump of Plains Milkweed (Asclepias pumila) in a area used to park heavy equipment for construction there. Half the clump is crushed but the other half is flowering wonderfully.

Do any of you have any experience growing this species? The plants I have seen are all very short (less than 1 foot tall in full bloom) and I donÂt know if it can compete with the taller plants (most over 3 feet) that dominate the restoration garden.

Should I transplant it now? How successful would transplanting milkweeds in bloom be? Should I wait and collect seed instead? The plant might not be there if I wait, but I donÂt want to kill it by hastily moving it.

For you who grow this species, what are your experiences with it?

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville