SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
petrushka_gw

water-drip for neoregelia and aechmea

petrushka (7b)
10 years ago

has anybody tried to set up auto water drip to keep fresh water in the funnel?
i am planning to set up a drip-bottle like they use for vivariums: from what i researched so far i can set up a drip as slow as 1 drop in 2 min. this can be halved by using a Y splitter.
so i calculated that in 3 days this can deliver about 100ml of water per drip (about 7tb) or with a splitter 50ml each for 2 ( about 3tb).
i have single blooming neoregelia carolinae and aschmea fasciata clump with 3 big plants. they both need water in the funnels. both are mature plants planted in 6" pots grown totally indoors in west windows.
the temps will be 60F nite - 65F day. i need smth for 6 weeks unattended.
but i am concerned that at lower temps even that little water might be too much?
alternatively, i could tent them with plastic for terrarium like set-up and not water at all. can they tolerate no water in the funnel? and for how long?
or put a wet wick on top of soil with other end in the water reservoir - to deliver some minimal moisture inside the 'terrarium' enclosure. obviously in the tent the temps will be a few degrees higher and the wick will raise the humidity too.

Here is a link that might be useful: DIY water drip-bottle set-up

Comments (11)

Sponsored