SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
misssherryg

Best Butterfly Year Since the Hurricane?

MissSherry
12 years ago

Well, so far it has been!

This area where I live used to be a butterfly and big moth paradise. My favorite butterflies and cats were the pipevine swallowtails, followed closely by gulf frits. My pipevines were covered with cats from about March until late fall, my passionvines would be covered with cats from about late May till late fall, and one warm winter three gulf frit cats overwintered! Since August, 2005, the numbers of pipevine swallowtails have been reduced hugely, as have my gulf frits - I've had them, but not in nearly the previous numbers. And whereas I used to get a lot of question mark, variegated fritillary, and viceroy cats, since the hurricane, I've gotten none, until this year that is! I've posted about the three "returnees" this year.

Well, yesterday I found seven more giant swallowtail eggs, and there are two giant swallowtails in my garden now, one of them flitting around the GST host plants. I found five black swallowtail eggs on rue and dill yesterday -

{{gwi:487322}}
And today a female pipevine swallowtail has finally found my pipevines! She's out there now, laying eggs - YAY!

{{gwi:487324}}
I wish she had found them in March, when there was SO much new growth everywhere. Still, the vines are colonizing everywhere, and there's enough new growth for now - I'll probably put some chicken manure around them and water it in good in the next few days.

Sherry

Comments (14)

Sponsored