SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mikeyfromgw

HAVE: Plant Exchange/Trade

Mikey
17 years ago

If enough people are interested I will host a plant/seed/cutting exchange on Saturday, June 9th at 10:00AM. We can begin with a quick tour of our garden at 10:00AM and start the plant exchange at about 10:15AM. IÂm not firm on the starting time and if most of you want to start an hour or so earlier we can do that so that you can get back home and get things planted :) I'll have coffee, juice, fruit and pastries. I live in Cypress, which is located in north Orange County.

After the exchange feel free to sit around and chat with your fellow gardeners or run home and plant your new acquisitions. I assure you it will be a fun time. Please either respond here or send me an e-mail if you plan on coming and I will send you an e-mail with my address and telephone number.

HereÂs what typically happens at a plant exchange. Bring whatever plants, seeds, cuttings, rooted cuttings you have available. If you donÂt have much to offer, thatÂs fine. Please come anyway! Many of us have an overabundance of plant material and we love to share. I personally donÂt have much room left to plant anything and I am looking to share my extras rather than getting more. You will have time to check out the various plants that people brought. We will draw numbers and that will determine the order in which someone chooses a plant. Once the exchange starts it goes rather quickly and there are usually leftover plants that no one wanted or had room for.

Below are a couple of photos I just took of my front and back yard. I donÂt know what will be in bloom come June but IÂm sure something will be flowering.... - Mike

{{gwi:498605}}

{{gwi:498606}}

Comments (53)

• ninated2
    17 years ago

Hey strangers..a plant exchange sounds fun and I would love to see your garden Mikey.. I'll be there with my cannas and elephant ears just like the "old days"..looking forwward to seeing you..Nina

• Mikey
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Good to hear from you Sanda & Nina. It has been a while since we got together. My tropicals and sub-tropicals also took a beating from that freeze. Most are coming back but I lost a plumeria, mango and a couple of sub-tropical cactus-like plants. The good news is that the freeze killed the white fly that has been a major pain to my hibiscus for the last few years.

Sanda: I have a young clump of Heleconia growing and I divide a section for you. It's young and has yet to flower. It was planted near the house and although the leaves were damaged, it survived.

So far we have me, Simsuz, Sanda and Nina. I guess I better get busy rooting some cuttings....

• Related Discussions

WANTED: Please see my trade request on plant exchange

Q

Comments (0)
    I just posted a trade request for exotics on the plant exchange forum. Please see it and my trade list. Thanks!
    ...See More

HAVE: Updated Trade List - Ready to Exchange

Q

Comments (8)
    I'd like to trade or Sase for some Dill, Sage, and Hyssop. I have some things on my trade list, I hope interest you. I'm looking for small seed quantities just to get a few plants started.
    ...See More

Trades at the Plant Exchange

Q

Comments (18)
    beachlily, I did trade with you for all you listed except Hurricane Swirls. Best with memory, you did not have enough of it at the time for me and another trader. I got Boogie Woogie Blues, which I like very much. I am glad that you like Wild Wookie. It is a favorite of mine also. Maybe we can do a trade next year. I have not been trying to trade for 3 years because of a leg problem and work. I retired this year and my leg has healed. I hope to be in my daylilies more next year!! I hope that you are feeling good these days.
    ...See More

Plant Trading: determing a fair exchange when items are not the same

Q

Comments (3)
    I'm not so much worried about what I get but more worried about being fair, polite and EXPEDIENT. In fact, If I didn't plant another thing in my garden, nobody would notice. Problem is, I get a little impatient when there seems to be a "dance" about who offers what. Usually goes, How many bulbs do you want? answer: I don't know, YOU tell me. It becomes email ping pong. I'm just trying to learn what others do to make it a more efficient process, with "no dancing around issue". @Betsy, I think I still trade b/c I do like the thought of virtual friends living in my garden. If not, I would've stopped long ago. And you are also right about most people being generous. I'm just trying to get past the "dance".
    ...See More
  • sanda
    17 years ago

Also, ocbird, dirtface and mrsdog might come.

ocbird, dirtface and mrsdog, please post here to confirm...so mikey has a correct head count.

He will email you directions privately after you confirm.

I've looked around the yard and I do have some stuff to trade. Please look at my updated trade list, and let me know if there is anything in particular you want, so I can set aside.

sanda

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    17 years ago

It's been a while! I still have (and it is much much bigger!) the Stephanotis vine I got from Sanda and the Sticks-On-Fire Euphorbia I either got from dirtface or Mikey...would love to see your beautiful yard Mikey, that pond looks great. We finally put in a pond, too. Would love to talk ponding with you.

• Mikey
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Well it appears that at least three of us "ponders" will be here so after the plant swap we can get knee deep into pond talk :)

I did trade some Euphorbia "Sticks-On-Fire" at some plant exchanges so you may have got one of mine. - Mike

• Jerry_E
    17 years ago

Love to come!

• Bryan Lampl
    17 years ago

Hi Everyone... count me in, should have some drought tolerant plants to bring and I'll see what else I have in the yard. Would anyone be interested in some bearded iris? If so, I can bring a few different colors of them.

• peachiekean
    17 years ago

I found myself here this morning looking for comments on the Heard Garden Tour which I will go on today even though I'm sick with a sinus infection. I miss the plant exchanges I used to attend when I lived in LA County. You can count me in on the plant swap down this way. I have some various plants that could be traded.
    Mary
    aka Peachie

• Mikey
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Your updated trade list is a good idea Sanda. I took my trade list down when I started relandscaping my front yard because I was trying to find a home in the front yard for about 40 potted plants. I'll have to take some time and revise it....

Hoovb: You'll be pleased to know that Jerry E above is a fellow ponder who in fact owns/operates a pond forum, so that makes at least four of us "ponders" who will be in attendance. In addition, a member of Jerry's pond forum, Annette, will try to make it if she can but she can't commit due to other possible obligations. We'll all have to gang up on Bryan (Dirtface) and encourage him to sacrifice some land for a pond ;)

Mary: How did the Mary Lou Heard Memorial Garden Tour go? The fetching Mrs. Mikey and I were a part of the tour this year. We were surprised at the heavy turnout since we were the only garden on the tour in Cypress. We estimate 200+ people came by. It was really a lot of fun but we were so dead tired that we didn't get to do the Sunday tour :( The people that came through were great. The most frequently asked question was about the ID of the peony poppy. It's a real eye-catcher. I'll give everyone at the exchange some seeds as a little go a loooooong way...

I have also tried contacting Norco Bill and Srduggins who have attended prior exchanges. Does anyone remember Tracy's GW name? She's hosted and has attended prior exchanges as well but I'm drawing a blank on her GW name...

So far we have me, Simsuz, Sanda, Nina, Hoovb, Jerry E, Dirtface (Bryan) and PeachieKean (Mary)

• peachiekean
    17 years ago

The tour was beautiful! I visited most of the gardens in Mission Viejo and one in San Juan Cap. When I am feeling a little better I will post pics.

• sanda
    17 years ago

Oh, this is so exciting! I can hardly wait!!!
    I posted a SoCAl roll call thread on the discussions forum, and mentioned this exchange, so mikey I think you will have quite a turnout!

I can't remember Tracy's GW name either, and I wish to get in touch with her, anyone that knows, please help. There was also a lady in the Riverside area that had hosted an exchange and had thousands of award-winning bearded irises, anyone remember her name?

sanda

• heirloomkeepsakes
    17 years ago

G-R-E-A-T idea. Thanks!!!! I'll be there. Linda

• Mikey
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Yes, Tracy and her hubby were a lot of fun. I hope they see this. I was unable to attend the exchange in the Inland Empire but as I recall she lived in Redlands.

Welcome aboard Linda!

I also heard back from Steve (Srduggins) and he says he can come. I believe I met him first at Tracy's house in Costa Mesa. He had/has some VERY interesting plants.

Okay, so far we have me, Simsuz, Sanda, Nina, Hoovb, Jerry E, Dirtface (Bryan), PeachieKean (Mary), Heirloomkeepsakes (Linda) and Srduggins (Steve)

• ocbird
    17 years ago

Hi Mikey and Sanda and everyone,

I would definitely like to attend! It'll be fun to have another exchange; the ones we did a couple of years back were always great. I still have many of the plants I got back then, and in fact, the tiny aeonium I got has now spawned many babies that I've shared...

• Mikey
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Great to hear from you Ocbird. If I recall correctly the last I knew you were working on becoming a Master Gardener and going into landscape design. It will be fun to learn how that is going. If you still have your Salvia clevelandii I would like a cutting if that's okay. I got one from you before and it didn't make it : (

I just found out that Tracy's GW name is Lovetosmellflowers and I've sent her a note advising of the exchange.

I also sent a note to Stella Blue (Mary)

We now have 11 attending: me, Simsuz, Sanda, Nina, Hoovb, Jerry E, Dirtface (Bryan), PeachieKean (Mary), Heirloomkeepsakes (Linda), Srduggins (Steve), and Ocbird

• srduggins
    17 years ago

The garden is looking great! I'll be there.

• mrsdog
    17 years ago

Hey y'all--Mrsdog here! I definitely hope to come, can't wait to see that gorgeous yard! I too have a little pond so am looking forward to that. Not sure how much I'll have to trade. Could anyone use a start of a clumping bamboo? The textilis are shooting!

• Mikey
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hey there Mrsdog. Welcome aboard! I'm sure someone will want a start of clumping bamboo. I've offered some running bamboo in the past and someone took it......and it's probably still running ; ) I always enjoy visiting Quail Botanical Gardens and viewing there stands of bamboo. I'll send you my address. - Mike

We now have 12 attending: me, Simsuz, Sanda, Nina, Hoovb, Jerry E, Dirtface (Bryan), PeachieKean (Mary), Heirloomkeepsakes (Linda), Srduggins (Steve), Ocbird (Anne) and Mrsdog.

• akarinz
    17 years ago

I am interested in attending!

Karin

• Mikey
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Karin. Sorry for not responding sooner. I am currently in North Carolina getting together with a bunch of Internet pond friends and I haven't been on-line. If I can get my web-mail access to work I will send you our address. I look forward to meeting y'all on June 9th - Mike

• ceciliatherese
    16 years ago

I am new to this site but I would love to attend. I currently have some "wonderful" pomegranate volunteers that I will be potting up soon, ditto on the passion fruit volunteers. I will also try to root and pot up some of my beautiful pink tree mallow "Kew's Garden" that I purchased at the UCR plant sale 4-5 years ago.

Thanks

• Mikey
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Ceciliatherese. I wish I had met you last year when I purchased two pomegranates from Armstrongs LOL. Welcome aboard. I'll send you our address for the exchange.

Okay, we now have 14 who are planning to attend: me, Simsuz, Sanda, Nina, Hoovb, Jerry E, Dirtface (Bryan), PeachieKean (Mary), Heirloomkeepsakes (Linda), Srduggins (Steve), Ocbird (Anne), Mrsdog, Akarinz (Karin) and Ceciliatherese.

If I forgot to send someone our address or if anyone has any questions, please let me know. Thanks guys - Mike

• Mikey
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ceciliatherese: you'll have to contact me with your e-mail address as your e-mail address is not available through the GW. -Mike

• phapsu
    16 years ago

Hi Mikey,
    This is Michael in Long Beach. I might be
    able to stop by on June 9th. I am not too far from Mikey's place.
    Please let me know if anybody wants some Dragon
    Fruit cuttings.
    I am glad Bryan will be there too.
    Michael - phapsu@yahoo.com

• Mikey
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Michael. We have a good size group of people coming and I'm sure there will be people interested in Dragon Fruit cuttings....especially if they have ever tasted the fruit. Please come and join us. Mike

Okay, we now have 15 who are planning to attend: me, Simsuz, Sanda, Nina, Hoovb, Jerry E, Dirtface (Bryan), PeachieKean (Mary), Heirloomkeepsakes (Linda), Srduggins (Steve), Ocbird (Anne), Mrsdog, Akarinz (Karin), Ceciliatherese and Phapsu (Michael)

• mkruby7
    16 years ago

This sounds like alot of fun. Would like to come. But it would have to be a maybe.

Darn, TB iris, dragon fruit, pomegranates, passion fruit, etc. WOW !!!!

dirtface, if you have any TB iris left. Can you email me. For 'mothers day' am doing a iris bed for my mother. I also started hybridism them this year.

mkruby7 of Norco, CA

• sanda
    16 years ago

I found Tracy!!! I hope she posts here soon!

• wpirvine
    16 years ago

Hi,
    I really love Mikey's pond. It is beautiful.
    I would love to go if it were not be too much traffic. I am going to dig out a bunch of night blooming Jasmine seedling, ranging from 6" to 14" tall; elephant ears and daffodil.
    I can place them in a big box and sent them to your meeting place or someone live close to my zip code (92545) can pick it up. Please let me know if you guys are interested.

• Mikey
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Mkruby7: I'll send you my address just in case you can make it.

WpIrvine: I won't be able to come out there for them. Family from out of state will be here soon and I'm behind on my honey-doos.... -Mike

• Mikey
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I just heard back from Tracy. She has resolved a schedule conflict and will also be here on Saturday, June 9th. It will be great renewing old acquaintances and making new friends.

If there are any shy lurkers out there, this a great time to meet other local gardeners who share the love of gardening and also the enjoyment of taking away some new plants/cuttings etc. as well.

We will have the plant exchange in the back yard. I will post a sign out front directing everyone to enter through the side gate located on Peach St. There is a concrete slab in the back yard where we will put the plants.

Roughly 16 motivated gardeners :) are planning to attend: me, Simsuz, Sanda, Nina, Hoovb, Jerry E, Dirtface (Bryan), PeachieKean (Mary), Heirloomkeepsakes (Linda), Srduggins (Steve), Ocbird (Anne), Mrsdog, Akarinz (Karin), Ceciliatherese, Phapsu (Michael) and Lovetosmellflowers (Tracy). Because of scheduling conflicts and forgetfulness, I expect perhaps ten or so will be at the exchange.

See y'all on Saturday, June 9th at 10:00am. Come a little earlier if you like to bring in your plants. If you arrive early, don't sit out in the car waiting for 10:00am... :) Coffee, juice, fruit, muffins are awaiting you inside........ - Mike

• phapsu
    16 years ago

Hi Mikey, I will be there on June 9th. I am less than
    10 minutes from your place. I am by El Dorado Park/Long Beach State University.

WpIrvine: I have to go down to Irvine about 3 times a week,
    to the Woodbridge/The Ranch area ( Irvine Center Drive/Culver ). Are you anywhere near that area ? If you are, I can swing by and pick up the box to give to Mikey for you.
    Please email me at phapsu@yahoo.com.
    Regards,
    Michael

• Mikey
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Michael: At first I also thought wpirvine lived in Irvine but his/her zip code indicates he/she lives well inland.

• Bryan Lampl
    16 years ago

anyone interested in a split leaf monstera start? contact me directly a.s.a.p. so i can get them potted for you by next weekend. dirtface2@earthlink.net

• Eggo
    16 years ago

Sounds cool. I think I'm gonna make it for the plant exchange/tour.

• Mikey
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sounds good Eggo. I'll send you our address. I hope some of you took advantage of Bryan's (Dirtface) offer. I think it's a great plant.

Roughly 17 gardeners are planning to attend: me, Simsuz, Sanda, Nina, Hoovb, Jerry E, Dirtface (Bryan), PeachieKean (Mary), Heirloomkeepsakes (Linda), Srduggins (Steve), Ocbird (Anne), Mrsdog, Akarinz (Karin), Ceciliatherese, Phapsu (Michael), Lovetosmellflowers (Tracy) and Eggo.

See y'all this Saturday, June 9th at 10:00am.... or sooner if you wish to set up your plants and chit-chat first. - Mike

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    16 years ago

Looking forward to it & seeing that gorgeous pond, bringing Phormium, Salvia 'Black & Blue', Madeira geranium, Hem. 'Daring Deception', Carex testacaea, Hakonechloa macra...

• simsuz
    16 years ago

Anyone interested in Star Jasmine, Indian Hawthorne, or yellow day lilies? I have big ones that are taking over. Drop me an email and I dig one out for your.

Susan

• Mikey
    Original Author
    16 years ago

See y'all here! I'll have a sign out front pointing for you to enter the backyard via our west gate which is located on Peach St. I'll have a wagon available for you to transport plants to the backyard from your vehicle if you need it. - Mike

• Mikey
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks to all of you for sharing your bounty.

Several of you expressed an interest in the plant near the pond bridge, a double purple Datura. Sometime this summer this plant will produce seed pods. It easily propagates from seed and will flower either the first or second year, depending on your growing conditions. If you want seeds, send me an e-mail with your mailing address and when the seeds are ready for harvesting I will mail them to you. - Mike

• ninated2
    16 years ago

Thanks , Mike, for hosting such an awesome swap today. I had so much fun renewing old agarden web friendships and making new ones. Your gardens and pond are breathtaking and inspiring! Let's do this again in late summer/early fall... Nina

• peachiekean
    16 years ago

Mike,
    Thank you for having the plant exchange today. There were some very nice people and they brought so many interesting things to share.
    Mary

• Mikey
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the kind comments. I'm glad you guys had fun.

Some of you left before I remembered I was going to give everyone a packet of peony poppy seeds. Contact me with your address if you didn't get one and want one and I will mail it to you. The peony poppies are a tall (3-4') Asian poppy with large red peony-like flowers that last for several days. During the Heard's garden tour that particular plant received the most comments from people. In the first photo on top you can see the poppy in the center-left portion of the photo just behind the pink rose.

Scatter these seeds sparingly otherwise you will have to thin them out. A few go a long way.... They should be surface spread (not buried) during the fall/winter. Stagger their planting a couple weeks each time to ensure a long lasting spring/summer of flowering.

• sanda
    16 years ago

Thank you, Mikey, for opening your house and yard for all of us. It was such a treat for me to see your yard, the pictures don't even do it justice! I know all the hard work that goes into maintaining that Garden of Eden paradise!

"Life began in a Garden" is a very fitting quote for your yard.

Please thank the lovely Mrs. Mikey for being such a gracious hostess, and putting together such a fancy and delicious breakfast!

I had a great time getting reaquinted with long-time gardenfriends, and making new ones. And I walked away with some amazing plants!!

sanda

• Mikey
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Here's a few photos of the exchange taken by Jerry_E of American Ponders. Thanks Jerry!:

First a brief self-guided tour of the garden.
    {{gwi:498607}}

Checking out the pond
    {{gwi:498608}}

Describing the plants we each brought. Twas a tad bit crowded....
    {{gwi:498609}}

• Eggo
    16 years ago

Thanks Mikey!!! You got an incredible yard. And you were a great host!!

Look what I snatched up at the tour. Thanks Steve!

{{gwi:498610}}

• mrsdog
    16 years ago

Hey gang--great pics! I see a nice view of the back of my husband's head! ;o)

If you'd like to do this again in the fall, probably around October, I'd be happy to host at our house. My yard can't compete with Mikey's but I do have a fabbo patio. We're near South Coast Plaza.
    Sharon (aka Mrsdog)

• Mikey
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Looking forward to it Sharon! I've got cuttings rooting....

• srduggins
    16 years ago

I had a great time! Thanks for hosting it. Here's a pic of Mikey enjoying his creation:

{{gwi:498611}}

The rest of my pics can be found here:

Here is a link that might be useful: Mikey's swap

• crewelwanda1
    16 years ago

I know your plant exchange was several months ago, but I have just started using the local Forums.
    I love "next door" to you in La Palma.
    Do you have anything to exchange currently?
    I have:
    Lacecap Hydrangeas
    Begonias (tall kind, not hanging basket type)
    Kalachoes
    Spider Plants
    Sword-leaf type ferns
    Honesuckle Vinve

Wanda

• Mikey
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Wanda. Sharon (MrsDog) above lives nearby and she has discussed hosting an exchange in October. Hopefully she will see this and give an update as to if she is still planning to do that. I've sent you an e-mail also - Mike

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville