SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mayzu

Rabbits eating butterfly plants!!

mayzu
13 years ago

I'm at my wit's end. Many butterfly plants that were listed as rabbit-resistant online and in books are definitely NOT rabbit-resistant.

Here's some background info: I've planted a 12-foot circular butterfly garden in our cul-de-sac. As we're the only house on the cul-de-sac, the rest of the property is a grassy park where rabbits are known to roam.

After planting the garden, I noticed a few casualties the next day. So I bought some Liquid Fence for deer/rabbits and sprayed it like crazy around the garden. (BOY did it smell bad!!) ... But the next day, there were still several uprooted/nibbled on/destroyed plants.

THEN my Dad bought some "rabbit guard" fencing and installed it around the whole garden. I also read that rabbits dislike the smell of dog fur (as it's a scary predator smell), so I stuck tufts of my dog's fur every foot or so around the fence. Then we went on vacation for five days while our neighbor watered the garden.

Upon a close inspection this morning, I found even more destruction ... A sunflower is missing, my only New England aster is gone, several Zinnias are gone, two swamp milkweeds are toppled over, my lavender has been nibbled down considerably, and my yarrow has been COMPLETELY defoliated.

{{gwi:485553}}
This is the lavender. It wasn't big to begin with, but so many of the leaves have been nibbled to stubs!

{{gwi:485555}}
Here you can see the defoliated yarrow. I really hope it doesn't die. You can also see the fencing in the background.

What in the world am I doing wrong??? I can see no signs of rabbits crawling under the fence (it's buried in mulch), and I read everywhere that rabbits don't like to jump fences. This fence is around 2 feet tall or slightly taller.

I'm about to try Scoot's Rabbit/Deer Repellant. This spray actually makes the plants taste bad, so I'm hoping it works. I don't know what else to do!

Does anyone else know of good butterfly plants that are definitely rabbit-resistant?? Or have any other ideas on how to prevent rabbit destruction in my butterfly garden?

Thanks so much ... :(

Comments (12)

Sponsored