SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
monkeybelle

Natural pest control ideas

monkeybelle
12 years ago

Hello! I am new to this whole butterfly garden thing, and fairly new to NJ as well. I was hoping someone may have some experience in repelling squirrels and birds, as my garden is attracting all the wrong animals! Everything is struggling to grow because its all being eaten! The things that are the worst hit are my sweet peas, morning glories, zinnia, echinacea, shasta daisy and butterfly weed. The birds yank the seedlings out of the ground once they get to be a couple inches tall. I keep re-starting seeds in the backyard but as soon as they are ready and I plant them out front, they get stolen. Either the birds or squirrels have eaten my mint and lavender down to the ground. My columbine was doing well until something came along and broke the top of the plant off. They have left the nasturtuim seedlings, phlox, buddleia, cosmos, african daisy and lantana alone. They ate the parsley.

Its so frustrating to be putting so much time and hope and money into a project and all I end up with is a whole lot of wildlife running around with fresh breath, lol.

I"m hoping for natural solutions as I and many of my neighbors have dogs and there are a lot of children around. We also have owls and chipmunks which I would not like to see end up dead all over my lawn. Someone suggested marigolds...but I came home to find all the flowers torn off and laying on the ground. My husband is threatening to buy a BB gun so any other suggestions are extremely welcome!

Thanks so much in advance!

-Sandy.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz