SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gwynne2006

Question About Raising Giant Swallowtails

gwynne2006
14 years ago

I need some advice on raising Giant Swallowtails. I will explain what I have been doing and if any one can tell me where I am going wrong, it would be appreciated. Also, I have some specific questions I will put at the end of the post.

I am in Pennsylvania and I have been ordering Giant Swallowtail eggs from Florida for three years. The eggs all hatch, but I seem to lose more than half the batch after that. The caterpillars wander off and never eat or they die during the first molt. If they survive first molt, they have a pretty good chance of making it to chrysalis and eclosing. In the past, I tried moving the ones that wandered off back to the rue. I only tried to relocate the ones that didnt eat the rue at all, not those that were molting.

This year I decided not to interfere, thinking maybe I hurt them when I tried to move them. I got 19 eggs, all hatched, but I had the same problem. I lost 12 of them as baby caterpillars. Half I lost because they didnt eat at all and half I lost during their first molt. I raise them in souffle cups, so it isnt like they wandered off and couldnt find their way back to the food. The 7 surviving ones seem to be doing well at this point.

Now I have just been told that rue is not the ideal host food for them, and that lime prickly ash, which I dont have access to, is probably better to raise them on.

1. I am wondering what other people in my general vicinity raise their GSTs on.

2. Are Florida GSTs a different type than ones that would normally be found in this area? I know that California has different black swallowtails and tiger swallowtails than we do in the east and wondered if Florida GSTs could be a different variety?

3. Is there a better way to raise GSTs than what I have been doing?

Thanks everyone for their time.

Gwynne

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Premier Interior Designer | 2x Best of Houzz Winner!