SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ruth_ann_gw

Datura lovers.....

ruth_ann
14 years ago

Some of you may remember some really new colors of Datura hybridized over the last couple of years by one of our Garden web members named blicon1.

He has pictures of a few of them in the GW Brugmansia gallery:

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/brug/hpgal100544584215.html?55

Some of you had mentioned in a few of blicon1's posts

that you were interested in trying to grow some of his Datura.I though you may wish to know that blicon1

now has them listed in the BGI classified adds.

I will give you the link below.

It is always so much fun to be in on the ground floor when trying new cultivars so I will be getting some seeds to try to see what I get out of them.

Here is a link that might be useful: New Datura cultivar seeds

Comments (85)

• stanly
    14 years ago

Sandy, in your comments above, you say "3-4 weeks if treated with Gibberic or Sulpher. First I've heard of this so can you explain. Right now, I have a heated peat pellet tray with 71 peat pellets in it because 1 germinated two weeks ago and I also have a margarine container lined with a wetted paper towel with at least another 100 seeds in it sitting on a warm part of a fluorescent fixture and 3 nine cell pack with vermiculite also in a heated tray and like I said before, only one germinated. These seeds are all from datura plants my brother in law had last year so they are all pretty fresh, over the winter I kept them in my unheated veranda. Stan

• karyn1
    14 years ago

I don't use GA3 for datura seeds. I don't have great germination rates when starting daturas inside but no problems starting them outside. What dilution rate do you use and do you mix the gibberellic acid with methyl hydrate first? I use it very infrequently. I've never used sulphur as a germination aide, just an insecticde/fungicide. What do you do with sulphur?

• Related Discussions

Moving Datura?

Q

Comments (6)
    KHT: Thanks for the info. I guess the raccoons know more about planting Datura than I do!! I've got one that is sooo hungry s/he was out foraging the yard yesterday at noon!! Nocturnal? I think Hunger wins out!! Yeah, I gave it some dried cat food!! I know it only encourages them ... but starving ...? not my style lol Gloria
    ...See More

Datura.... How many colors are there ?

Q

Comments (1)
    That's pretty much it besides cream and a purplish mauve but there are combinations of the above colors and different shades of purple. Jack has been crossing dats and has come up with some pretty blooms. Look for a post called "Datura Lovers" from a few months ago.
    ...See More

Friends & ALL Brug Lovers! :)

Q

Comments (12)
    Mike Wow, what alot of work. We have missed ya! Good luck with the babies on Sunday! I'm happy for the cooler weather, too, tho it feels awfully pre-Fall!! Hope your daturas make the move okey. Here is one of the Triple Cream's that you shared the seed of with me. This blossom actually has 4 skirts- the second one on this plant to have 4 skirts. There is lots of pollen on it, so I hope I get seedpods! Hope these photos give you hope for a stress=free and happy transfer of your daturas....... and all your plants!
    ...See More

Datura Info?

Q

Comments (70)
    Wow - yea, like that! No - I have nothing against white ones - it's the itty bitty white ones - where the flower is so small and dainty, it's smaller than a petunia. That's what I meant. I don't have a "delicate" landscape hand. Small, delicate and dainty won't work for me. Everyone in my life is a Brutus, even my dog. Big feet, big vehicles, big old dog, the landscaper and his "big" mowers and monster rakes, and a leaf blower that could remove siding. (grrrrrrrrr) The little dainty white flowers - they wouldn't make it here, that's all - they're beautiful - but too delicate for my "homestead" which is probably more like the wild west sometimes. The guys doing my siding? My Pink sedum looks like guacamole on the ground around my air conditioner.. . I'd love some extra seeds when you're done trading Mike! That would be wonderful! Thank you! And DH would love that Goree Island. He likes dats. . .
    ...See More
  • sandysseeds007
    14 years ago

Ok. First, I beleive it's Jack that uses sulphur on his, so you'll have to ask him.

Second, I acquired my triple yellow and double purple a few years ago, (gave the rest of my triple yellows to some members here as I thought I'd have new seeds that year- no luck maturing in time.) That was from the JL Hudson Seed Company, and it's written right on there package. They do sell gibberic acid (GA-3) there and it has instructions there as well. I'll give you one other place that also confirms this. Sorry I can't help personally beyond this:

http://www.jlhudsonseeds.net/GibberellicAcid.htm
    They have germination data on hand there for their datura seeds.

Stan - sounds like you're pretty much on the right track, just be very patient, they not only germinate slowly but they grow slowly only for the first week or so, then they'll grow exponentially - as in faster each couple of weeks. I don't get many flowers if I keep in pots, I don't know about anybody else's technic, but I didn't use compost in those pots, just Miracle Grow.

The link below also confirms the same germination data, as do other sites. I personally found this to be true, most germinating at or around 3 weeks.

Watch them and they will not germinate...lol...joking
    ;) - Sandy

Here is a link that might be useful: Here's more datura germination data -

• karyn1
    14 years ago

Hudson is where I buy GA3 but I've never bought dat seeds from them. I think the only seed that I've bought pretreated with GA3 is A. watsonii and it didn't germinate. I use it on some hard to sprout seeds but honestly don't use the dilution charts. I just kind of wing it which is why I use it so infrequently. If you use too high a concentration it can inhibit germination. I think that when I have to resort to the GA3 or smoke treatments it means I should just buy the damn plant. lol

• blicon1
    14 years ago

Hi All,
    On 3/8 I planted 14 seeds of each batch that I sent out. I will update soon on their progress, some batches have been popping for a week or so.
    I don't use Sulphur to enhance germination, I don't know if it helps or not. I use it to prevent mold and fungus during refrigerated storage. I dump the dried seeds into a cup of Sulphur powder then pour them into a sifter and shake to remove the bulk of the sulphur, then seal the seeds in an airtight plastic bag, then refrigerated right away.

Regards,
    Jack

• honeybunny2 Fox
    14 years ago

Jack, I am so excited, I can wait to see the pictures you post. I plan to plant my seeds after Easter. I will start mine in the little pots, so I can keep and eye on them here in San Antonio. I got a new camera for Christmas and will post pictures as soon as they start to bloom, that should be sometime in the summer . I can't wait. You did say to soak the seeds for at least an hour before I plant them, should I nick them or remove any of the seed cover before I plant, or just plant after they soak? Barbra

• sandysseeds007
    14 years ago

Oops, my bad. I ASSumed that Jack used the sulpher for germination. So you're right again Karyn, only for protection from fungus/mold. Where do I get sulphur from, the pharmacy?

So Jack, that's pretty impressive, taking approx. 3 weeks to germinate and pop up through the soil without any treatment except for refrigeration. Can you clue us in to which batches are coming up relatively early?

It makes you wonder, just how old are the seeds they need to treat with Gibberellic Acid.

I have a few batches that aren't treated either, although mine are a little old.

Karyn, I wonder how many times in the future we'll still trouble ourselves instead of just buying the plant!
    ;) -Sandy

• karyn1
    14 years ago

Sandy you should be able to get sulphur at a nursery. Look in the insecticide/fungicide section. You want horticultural sulphur.

• ruth_ann
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sandy, check Canadian Tire, it sells this product....

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Sulphur

• blicon1
    14 years ago

Barbra - some folks soak their seeds overnight, I don't, nor do I nick the seeds. Although, both may speed germination.
    Drugstores used to carry sulphur, you may have to ask at the counter. Then they will ask you if you are going to mix it with Saltpeter(also used to be available at drugstores) and powdered charcol...;->. I got 50lbs of it 12 years ago at a farm supply store (really cheap), I still have about 49lbs left.

Here is my germination update
    14 ea planted 3/8
    11 > 2
    136-7 >3
    138-9 >4
    140-1 >3
    142-3 >0
    146-7 >4
    148-9 >3
    150-1 >3
    152-3 >2
    164-5 >8
    169-70 >7
    179-80 >4
    219-20 >3
    280-1 >5
    286-7 >0
    292-3 >8
    304-5 >0
    310-1 >1
    14 ea planted 3/21
    136-7 >2
    138-9 >0
    142-3 >5
    179-80 >4
    219-20 >3
    286-7 >0
    304-5>1
    310-11 >1
    Good luck and regards,

Jack

• sandysseeds007
    14 years ago

Thanks Ruth Ann & Karyn. Horticulture sulfur at Canadian Tire and it's also good for some insects, all good to know.

I've read skim milk was good for mold and I forgot it when I needed to remember it...lol.

Jack - I didn't mean to put you through all that, I didn't realize how many batches there were...lol. Though I'm sure that was of interest to people. Thank you!

- Sandy

• blicon1
    14 years ago

Sandy,
    I was planning on updating anyway, I'll try to update every week or so. The batches I sent out were the ones that had the best germination in 2009. However, these batches are seeds from those. Don't give up on them, some may take awhile.

Regards,
    Jack

• honeybunny2 Fox
    14 years ago

Jack, I just received the second packages of seeds in the mail. I planted all the seeds today, and put them on a heat mat. I will post on the progress of the seeds. I can hardly wait. Barbra,

• ruth_ann
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I started 3 pkges in cell packs today.

• sandysseeds007
    14 years ago

Hi, 9/11 germinated out of the 219-20 group and I do expect the other 2/11 as well in the next couple of days. I put them in a baggie with water gel crystals for plants so I could see which were germinating, thus illiminating any useless potting. For seeds, I have to leave the crystals to open air to surface dry the gel and not let it humidity build up in the bag or it gets too wet.

I didn't attempt to germinate them all as I want some for next year and my growing season is just too short for me to recover seeds, unless I use the first flower which would hold back any future flowering.

Kylie's datura are about 4 days a head in germination.

My double purple are treated with GA-3 from 3 years ago and are about 2 days ahead.

The annoxia, I am still waiting for and they look fine.

Considering neither Jacks or Kylie's seeds are treated, they have germinated a few days ahead of the schedule that I've read for treated daturas. So, I'm no longer convinced that treatment with GA-3 was ever necessary. Just patience.

Germination, well at least it's root out of it's seed, was accomplished in 2 1/2 weeks for me on average. Some of Kylie's are over an inch tall out of the soil.

Again, thank you Kylie and Jack and those helping with tips and options. I appreciate the kindness.

- Sandy

• karyn1
    14 years ago

So far a couple of the 292-3 have germinated. They were started a couple weeks ago.

• blicon1
    14 years ago

Hello Folks,

Next update
    14 ea planted 3/8
    11 > 2>4
    136-7 >3>6
    138-9 >4
    140-1 >3>4
    142-3 >0gt;1
    146-7 >4>5
    148-9 >3>4
    150-1 >3>4
    152-3 >2>3
    164-5 >8>9
    169-70 >7>8
    179-80 >4>6
    219-20 >3>4
    280-1 >5>8
    286-7 >0
    292-3 >8>9
    304-5 >0gt;3
    310-1 >1
    14 ea planted 3/21
    136-7 >2>3
    138-9 >0gt;3
    142-3 >5>6
    179-80 >4
    219-20 >3
    286-7 >0
    304-5>1>4
    310-11 >1

I see some of you are having some success! Patience!

Regards,

Jack

• honeybunny2 Fox
    14 years ago

Jack, I just went outside to check on my seeds, its only been 7 days since I planted them, and I am not expecting to see anything yet, but our yardman, unplugged the extention cord, and the seeds have been without heat for 2 days, do you think this will hurt my chances of getting them to spout? The last time I tried datura seeds, I had 100% germination success, but they were on the heated mat the entire time. Barbra,

• sandysseeds007
    14 years ago

I have all 11 germinated and popping out of the soil. Unfortunately, I did dehead one this morning, trying to remove just the seed off the leaves. It was not ready...sigh. On the bright side, I have more than enough. One precious annoxia x metel has germinated and after the transfer to soil, is above the soil. I have at least 4 more seeds of these that look plump and promising out of the 7 that Jack kindly swapped some in for me.
    I have 5 double yellow, thanks to Kylie. And I have way 13 double purple so far. I wish I could mail some of these out (sorry Stan) but they are way too tender a seedling.

Take your lids or covers off after they are above soil to prevent mold and allow air in. I dont use a cover for these at all. You will have to mist or moisten the soil daily or bi-daily until they are big enough for less frequent waterings.

I do not use light to germinate these when in damp paper towel or water crystals which is what I used this year, they just need consistently moist and warm temps. I also have no problem handling these by the stem, after they have just germinated, but delicately or not at all. I personally dont believe that any plant with a root ball with dirt on it should ever be handled by the trunk or stem but only by the rootball. Except for those few plants that have real thick roots and thick stalk or risk tearing the roots off.

- Sandy

• karyn1
    14 years ago

Barbra I'm not using bottom heat and some more have sprouted. Mine are all outside in pots so you should be fine.

• blicon1
    14 years ago

Barbra - Karyn is correct, you will be fine - bottom heat just speeds up the process a bit. Here in zone 5 I have seeds that sprout on the ground in June/July that have been frozen for most of the winter and are at the mercy of freeze/thaw/heat/etc. for months.
    Sandy has also some good advice.

Regards,
    Jack

• karyn1
    14 years ago

Sandy I always lift rooted seedlings and plants by the stem or leaves, never by the roots, and have never had a problem. I wouldn't lift a thin/weak stemmed plant with a heavy amount of soil without shaking off most of the dirt first.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    14 years ago

Ok, I'm all excited again. I will go check on them again next Sunday, that will be 2 weeks.I can't wait to plant them in my yard at the coast, they love it down there. I think I have enought room for at least 30 new plants. If, not I will retire next month, and will put in another flower bed . My husband still thinks that Jim( Potts), put the brugmansia bed in. Now that is a flowerbed! I used a rear tiller, and 150 bags of mulch, dirt and cow manure to put that bed in. Barbra

• karyn1
    14 years ago

Some of all 3 varieties from the first batch I've planted have germinated. They were started about a month ago. I started the rest about 7-10 days ago. Hopefully they'll germinate soon.

So far it looks like the germaination rates are promising. All 5 of the 292-3 in the first batch are up, 4 of the 142-3 are up and one of 169-70 is just sprouting. I started 5 of each in the first batch and the remainder in the second batch. All are outside in community pots/trays. I'll wait for a couple sets of true leaves before transplanting.

I had a total of 40 seeds, 10 of 292-3, 10 of 169-70 and 20 of 142-3. If they are sprout and continue growing I'm not sure where I'll put them but am interested in seeing what blooms each produces. I might end up having to plant some at the farm.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    14 years ago

I checked Sunday, that was two weeks, still nothing. I will check again next Sunday, Barbra,

• marcie_new
    14 years ago

Hi guys I have this datura that I overwintered in a pot, and she survived! now she is getting ready to bloom as soon as it blooms I will post a picture tomorrow I will take a picture to show the buds, I do believe this is a metelswilr-dble purple- I will be sure once it opens up. I also have 2 very small seedlings and those are purple for sure I was smart enough to label the container with the seeds, and those are from last year datura, my dble yellow_which I got from barbara out of S.A. gave me some seeds but so far they have not sprouted, so i am hoping that once I try them directly in the ground they will take off for me. I would like to sprout some dble white daturas but I am waiting till it get hot for those seeds are kind of picky as to when they sprout they love the heat, so I must wait to plant them Marcie

• ruth_ann
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Day 16 for me and I got the 5th seedling up over night. Mine go out in the day and return to a heat mat over night.

• stanly
    13 years ago

Well, finally, I'm up to 13 have germinated. I said I was going to quit so I took the seed trays that I had in the heated seed starter and took them out to the greenhouse. We had some very unusually hot weather in the beginning of April, like 18 to 25C. I just took the trays out and set them on a shelf and lo and behold, they started to sprout. I think someone said that these seed starting kits may get to warm for the seeds so that could have been the problem. Next year I will try to germinate without the heat. Stan

• honeybunny2 Fox
    13 years ago

Today is 24 days and still nothing, tomorrow they are going out in the day and on the heat mat in the evenings. I remembered it took 4 weeks last time, but I just thought I would see something by now. Change of plans thanks for the information. I think mine are too hot, I have them on the heat mat with the cover, but inside a hot greenhouse. Barbra,

• karyn1
    13 years ago

All 3 varieties from the second batch I sowed shave begun to germinate. These have been outside in a community tray since I planted them and evening temps have been averaging in the 40's. 169-70 has had the worst germination with only 2 in the first batch sprouting so far. Both the others from the 1st batch had 100% germination. I didn't check to see how many of each from the 2nd batch have sprouted, just that some of each are up.

• eloise_ca
    13 years ago

Well Jack's dat seeds sure are keeping you all busy! Congrats on those that have sprouted and for those that will sprout soon.

• blicon1
    13 years ago

Hang in there Barbra, they want to live. Glad to see that many of you are having some success. I hope some of you will get some flowers that have not been seen yet.

Yet another update
    14 ea planted 3/8
    11 > 2>4>5
    136-7 >3>6>10
    138-9 >4>9
    140-1 >3>4>9
    142-3 >0gt;1>7
    146-7 >4>5>10
    148-9 >3>4>9
    150-1 >3>4>9
    152-3 >2>3>11
    164-5 >8>9>13
    169-70 >7>8>11
    179-80 >4>6>10
    219-20 >3>4>11
    280-1 >5>8>11
    286-7 >0gt;2
    292-3 >8>9>12
    304-5 >0gt;3>9
    310-1 >1
    14 ea planted 3/21
    136-7 >2>3
    138-9 >0gt;3>5
    142-3 >5>6>9
    162-3>10
    171-2>14
    179-80 >4>6
    219-20 >3>4
    286-7 >0gt;1
    304-5>1>4>5
    310-11 >1

As you can see that there are a couple of batches that have been naughty so far, lets give them a couple more weeks and I'll be gald to replace them with a better batch.

Regards,
    Jack

• blicon1
    13 years ago

Barbra - how are they doing?
    Anyone else having problems with a batch?
    Let me know.

Jack

• karyn1
    13 years ago

Almost all of mine have sprouted. Batch # 169-70 was the only one where all the seeds didn't germinate. I've since lost a few to the evil slugs but otherwise no problems.

• WOODSGRANNY
    13 years ago

i had probably 8 different flats growing.the damn squirells are digging in everything.how tall do they have to be to put in ground?will they (squirells)still dig 'em in the ground?what's an old lady to do?
    tanks,patricia

• karyn1
    13 years ago

Patricia you can plant them in the garden at any size. They can also be directly sown. I start many in pots due to my shorter growing season. As long as you aren't going to step on them go ahead on plant them. The squirrels might still get to them but I find that the squirrels go for my potted stuff more then stuff in the garden.

• WOODSGRANNY
    13 years ago

thanks karyn

• honeybunny2 Fox
    13 years ago

Jack, I'm too ashame to even post. I check every day, but still nothing. I planted them on Easter Sunday. I moved them to the back porch from the greenhouse, but they are still on a heated mat, and are in the covered seed starters. I think they must have gotten too hot in the greenhouse, I had the door and vent open, but it was very hot in there. I will give it another week, and then I think I will give up. I should have just put them in the ground, but I had such good luck the last time with the heated mat, and covered seed starters. Barbra,

• blicon1
    13 years ago

Barbra, sorry to hear that so far they haven't worked. Throw them on the compost pile(if you have one) then check every once in awhile. Or - put another 1/2" of soil over them and keep them watered. It worked for me a few years ago on some of the original seeds! I'll send you others this week.

Jack

• hdibikerchick
    13 years ago

I am new so consider me a virgin to this site. What does all the numbers and > mean?

• ruth_ann
    Original Author
    13 years ago

These are seed batches blicon is speaking about of brand new cultivars he has hybridized so they are only numbered, not named at the present time. He sent out samples to interested members and started some from each batch himself. His postings tell us the batch number ( usually first 3 digits)the single digit tells us how many of the seeds have germinated in each batch and the > is just used saying 'has given' or has germinated.
    It looks like a secret code if you are unfamiliar with "plant speak" LOL.

• hdibikerchick
    13 years ago

Thanks!

• hdibikerchick
    13 years ago

I am looking for some white plant & yellow Datura seeds. I have the purple and white Datura's growing and I have some seeds from last year in the fridge to exchange or we can wait for the plants I have now to seed in the fall.

This is the first year I grew these. I was given a few seed pods from my job at a hotel. I can't believe how amazingly easy they are to grow! Let me know!

• karyn1
    13 years ago

Oops! I am just the worst when it comes to labels. Either they fade, fall out or I flat out forget them. I had been doing so good keeping the "Box of Chocolates" dat seed batches labeled.........until now : ( I needed to get them into individual containers so I set about potting them up but neglected to label each as I went. By the time I was done there was no way of telling what batch each was from. Sorry about that Jack.

• blicon1
    13 years ago

Looks like I picked the right name ...... :-)

• ruth_ann
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Mine are going into the garden today. They have been stunted because I had to wait for a deck and patio to be built and a over filled Lotus pond to be removed. This post of Karyn's reminds me I need labels made for each one now as opposed to the cells they are in. I had so-so germination but some from each and really more than I have room for without tightly fitting them in.

• blicon1
    13 years ago

Glad to hear that you had some success RA! Will be posting final update later this week. I still have some popping, don't give up on them if you can afford the space.
    BTW - I've been trying to get intouch with Barbra (honeybunny2) If anyone knows her whereabouts would they tell her to email me (I've tried that)

Jack

• karyn1
    13 years ago

Barbra just left for FL (vacation?). I'm not sure how long she'll be away.

• blicon1
    13 years ago

Last update
    14 ea planted 3/8
    11 > 2>4>5>8
    136-7 >3>6>10>11
    138-9 >4>9>11
    140-1 >3>4>9>11
    142-3 >0gt;1>7>10
    146-7 >4>5>10>13
    148-9 >3>4>9>13
    150-1 >3>4>9>12
    152-3 >2>3>11>13
    164-5 >8>9>13>14
    169-70 >7>8>11>12
    179-80 >4>6>10>12
    219-20 >3>4>11>14
    280-1 >5>8>11>13
    286-7 >0gt;2>12
    292-3 >8>9>12>12
    304-5 >0gt;3>9>11
    310-1 >1
    14 ea planted 3/21
    136-7 >2>3>9
    138-9 >0gt;3>5>8
    142-3 >5>6>9>11
    162-3>10>11
    171-2>14
    179-80 >4>6
    219-20 >3>4
    286-7 >0gt;1>6
    304-5>1>4>5>8
    310-11 >1>5

And...... those of you who got some of the Inoxia/Metel cross seeds may end up with one of these!

{{gwi:441661}}

Sorry for the big pic, but for some reason I can't seem to make the "clickable thumbs" work reliably. More buds coming and will update in the Gallery under "new datura ???"

Regards,

Jack

• karyn1
    13 years ago

That's very pretty. No blooms yet but I had mine in community trays for a bit too long and they were stunted. They are in individual pots now and are putting on growth. I'd really like to put them in the yard but have yet to make room. That's another thing on the never ending gardening "to do" list. lol

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor