SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kek19

A few Misc. Q's?

kek19
16 years ago

I just have a few misc. questions here that don't have much to do w/ eachother, please bare with me :D

1. Is there a "cut off" date for finding cats and eggs up here in Michigan? It's not just a spring thing right?

2. How long does it take for common milkweed to grow from seed? I noticed yesterday that the field accross the street has 1, yes that's ONE single very large milkweed plant in it. We own 16 ft(x ~180') into the field, and I want to collect seed from the many many plants in my yard and plant it in the field.

3. Kinda on the same line as the last Q, I found a packet of "Annual Butterfly weed" in some seed packs someone sent me. I think it's tropical milkweed. Is it too late to plant it? Or should i save it for next year?

4. I know I've asked about finding BST cats and eggs, but have a few more specific Q's on it.

a. Where, typically, does mama BST lay her eggs on the plant (Queen Anne's Lace here) Towards the top? Near the base? My guess would be the top, since she's flying by, it would be easier to land.

b. Do BST like younger plants (like suggested w/ monarchs)? Or the tall older ones? One's blooming, or not there yet?

c. My "weed patch" is very thick, would I more likely find cats/eggs inside the dense patch, or along the edges, in more open areas?

d. And finally, do the cats hang out more in the foilage on the stalk, or down at the base?

(I know, the BST Q's are probally, just whatever the mama found easiest, right? Just looking for a patern or something. It just seems weird that i keep finding monarch cats, but no adults, and see BST adults, and no cats, and trust me, I'm looking)

5. Oh, and I asked this in another thread, but i think it got lost, what is OE, when referring to Monarchs?

6. Last question, for now, what should i put in my cage for my monarch cats to pupate on? I assume, from what i read, they'll probally head to the screen top of the cage, can I remove them from that? I read you can cut the leaf and pin it elsewhere if they pupate on the plant, but how do you move them from the top? I'd like to move them to a netted cage, so to speak after they pupate.

Sorry for all the questions, just learning here. I started getting addicted to growing from seed this winter, and now that everything is planted, and I'm waiting for things to grow and make more seed, I think I found my new addiction ;) It gives me something else to do w/ my kids. They love looking for cats, and watching the ones we have. Especially my 2yr daughter, she's fascinated with bugs, just like her mama. My 5 yr old son on the other hand, it's ok if they are caged, but freaks out if they're not. Yeah...we're a backwards family lol!

Comments (6)

Sponsored