SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
butterflymomok

Invasion of the predators

15 years ago

While I was away, the predators took over my garden. I am finding remnants of Red Admiral cats and nests--definitely none made it to the pupa state. The wasps are poring over the plants looking for succulent little cats to eat. I have got to get control!! I can see how important it is to intervene to help the caterpillars survive and become butterflies. The only surviving cats I've found are pipevine cats. They are loving the serpentaria I planted. I am going to have to bring them in and start them on tomentosa so my serpentaria plants will survive. Missing are the cloudless sulfur cats, the black swallowtail cats, the red admiral cats, the variegated frit cats, and monarchs. The passiflora was covered with assassin bugs. I snipped a lot of them in half.

I don't know if the population will ever get back up to what it normally is at this time of the year. When I came in from the airport last night, I did see a Red Admiral and a Buckeye Butterfly in the garden. There is so much work to do to get everything back in balance. . .

Sandy

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting