SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bronxfigs

Composted Cyphostemma juttae....thread jump-start

Back in 2007 a thread was started showing some stem cuttings from a Cyphostemma juttae sprouting roots after being composted.

I asked a few questions regarding this old information on that previous thread, and yet see that my new posting on this old thread has not shown up at the top of the current listings....so, I'm jump-starting this thread again.

You'll find a request for new information posted at the end of the "Composted Cyphostemma juttae" thread started in 2007.

Please post some updated information.

Thanks,

Frank

Comments (12)

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    12 years ago

Frank of Juttland,

May we have the link?

• longaeva54
    12 years ago

It is easier.
    Here is a link that might be useful:Cyphostemma juttae

• bronxfigs: New York City/7b
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sorry for not linking up the threads. I did not know how to do this step, and I'm sorry I am not more adept with this computer.

longaeva54: Thanks for helping.

Interested in the rooted cuttings and how they fared...if they grew into respectable plants?

Thanks again,
    Frank

• caudex1
    12 years ago

Those cutting were grown on for 2yrs then sold. Sadly I took no photos before they were purchased. The plants looked like fatter fat bastards. I plan on doing more this season.

Original Author
    12 years ago

caudex1....

Do you think, or, from your experiences, that these cuttings will also develop the fat caudex of the parent plant? Did your cuttings grow as fast as the original plant?

Just curious.

Frank

• caudex1
    12 years ago

Frank,
    The cuttings do take on the characteristics of the parent plant in size and speed. I haven't seen any large plants from leaf cuttings so not sure what the mature look would be like.
    juttae cuttings develop similar roots to the link below, but the trunk is much thicker

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:505485}}

Original Author
    12 years ago

caudex1....

Thanks for the photo link.

I had my eye of that "Fat B@stard" plant, but the trunk seems to be a bit too lean for my tastes. Too much like Cypho. hardyi, and not enough C. juttae...

Miles2Go shows a larger specimen of "Fat B@stard"...and the plant looks pretty nice once it grows out a bit. Ummm....

Frank

12 years ago

Frank,

Trust me, you will not want to be without one or two, but preferably more (I need to get a third one...).

12 years ago

I need an updated pic, as they've begun to leaf out, but there are two in the pic (can you spot them?) from a few months ago (holds breath to help winter's passing to spring, in spite of the dusting of snow last night).

{{gwi:505489}}

Original Author
    12 years ago

Love to look at the photos of your collection of plants, and the Cyphos. just beginning to wake up.

Thanks for the pics.

Frank

• gargaile
    12 years ago

Hello All!

I have one of this plant. It's about 4 inch in diameter at the base with NO leaves. Should it be leafing? Thank you for your help.

Gary

• caudex1
    12 years ago

A little early for juttae to be leafing out, Apr/May you should start seeing activity. The vining species are starting to push new foliage now.

Sponsored
Unparalleled Design & Dedicated to Quality in Franklin County, Ohio