SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
minnesota_flo_gw

Repotting (& rerooting?) Ailing Aloe Vera with Perlite

minnesota_flo
12 years ago

I read on a message from 3-16-08 originally from neuva_gardener and answered by xerophyte_nyc on 3-17-08 on an Aloe sick from overwatering rot. Perlite was suggested, without watering, until the leaves were growing again.

My plant is a baby off of my mom's humongous one that is no longer around. My sister has the other baby that is doing very well. They're both in the original sand from my mom's pot. Mine is losing it's color and going limp. I bought some African Violet soil (I found advice somewhere on that) and am thinking of checking out the roots and using the perlite to nurse it back to health (if there's any chance left). The advice said NOT to water it until growth resumed. I was wondering if you ORIGINALLY WET the perlite before not watering it. I don't know if the roots are all rotted, or not, but wanted to have the materials and know-how on hand before digging around in it.

My windows are mainly east and west and it hasn't seemed happy in either area. My Christmas cactus, a Hoya and a hyacinth are all happy in the basement under a full-spectrum fluorescent light. It must've been too cool for this little guy because he didn't like it down there, either. I DO have a little southern exposure but it'd have to sit on the dryer.

Any advice? I'd really like to keep this little guy alive. My mom had the original for probably 30 years. She passed away in 2004 so it's kind of in memory of her to keep it. Thanks!

P.S. I couldn't get the search feature to work. I hope I'm not repeating something recently mentioned.

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County