SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
weed30

Monarch Chrysalis no longer attached :(

weed30 St. Louis
13 years ago

UGH!!!! I tried to move a chrysalis and failed, and now it is laying on a washcloth next to a stick. I have done this with BSTs before, but never a Monarch. Will he be ok?

I have 9 more to move. They are in an inverted pop up hamper, and I had intended to move them, something I did last year with no problems. Last year they were moved to a hard plastic container when I knew they were searching for a place to attach, and the silk was easy to gently scrape off. I then wrapped masking tape around the silk and hung them easily. I thought I could do the same thing.

Well guess what...the silk has merged with the fabric of the hamper and it does not scrape off. (remember, the hamper is upside down, so the bottom of the hamper is now the top.) The chrysalis I tried to move came off with no silk, just a tiny bit of cremaster that I can't tape.

My plan now is to cut some of the hamper fabric along with the silk, so I will be able to tape them to a stick. The reason I have to move them is because the hamper is a short wide one, and cannot be closed off at the bottom because the edges are curved. I am afraid they will eclose when I'm not here and if they find the openings, my dog will get them. STUPID ME!!! I set it up this way in the first place because last year the cats escaped out the top when I had a hamper right side up with a towel over the top.

I ordered a cage that got delivered after they'd all formed their chrysalis, so that's why I'm in this dilemma. Another reason I can't leave them in the hamper this way is if several are eclosed but only one is dry, I don't think I can get the "ready" one out without harming the others.

Thanks for reading. I really just want to know if the one on the towel will be OK and find the stick. The rest was just an "I'm Stupid" vent ;)

Comments (6)

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County