SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
madam_butterfly

Eggs - Cecropia and/or Luna

madam_butterfly
14 years ago

Hi Everyone -

I'm a member of a wonderful group called 'Slow Foods'. They're interested in high quality foods, grown and produced as locally as possible, sustainability and ......... fine dining! Members run excellent local restaurants, make cheeses, raise vegetables, fruits and meats, and support community gardens - like that. And, of course, once I mentioned that I raise butterflies(which I still do, every summer), they thought that was pretty neat too. Some are interested in learning how to do that and I've promised butterfly cages to several.

Monarchs and Swallowtails are no problem - I have lots of them! I'd like to do Cecropias again - or Lunas, which I've never done. I know we have both locally. I've tried to acquire a gravid female for the last couple of years but not been successful. I know the weeks when they're available is coming up - or right now.

I was wondering if any of you might have some eggs that you would share with me?

I also have a question. The last time I raised Cecropias, I was very successful. Gosh! I must have started out with a hundred eggs! I think every single one of them hatched and they all grew well - I was so glad that my black walnut tree is huge! I had them in four very large cages. I must have had 20 pounds of caterpillars in my office!

When they got into their last instar, I began losing them. They'd look perfectly fine and the next minute, they're dead on the bottom of the cage.

I've thought about this often. You know how when Monarchs are ready to pupate, they begin to wander? They stop eating and quest around the cage until they finally settle on a spot to hang up and go into chrysallis. I didn't notice that Cecropias do the same thing. I wonder if I missed it?

I wonder if there's a time that they should be put in another cage WITHOUT ANY FOOD. I wonder if, unlike the Monarchs, they aren't geared to stop eating. I wonder if continuing to eat AFTER they would have stopped in the wild, they mess themselves up and die.

If I can raise another batch of eggs, I'm going to try this method - if you guys can't give me a better answer.

Anyway, it's always a happy memory for me to read your posts. My business keeps me very busy and headed in other directions. I love the knowledge that this wonderful site exists and that people exist who love these simple and beautiful creatures.

Comments (5)

Sponsored