SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mewbutterfly

caterpillar problems (Mourning Butterfly caterpillar)

mewbutterfly
15 years ago

Hi this is the first time I'm using the forum. =)

I have had a problem after I took a caterpillar home after finding that it dropped from a tree. I found out that it was a Mourning Butterfly caterpillar when I returned to my home. The caterpillar was large and I thought that it was about time for it to pupitate. Well it decided to spin a web on the wall of the container I put it in. (little plastic food container)

Problem came in to the frame when it attatched it's pair of feet (the ones before the last pair of feet) to the silk web, and decided to hang there. It then proceded to hang there for 1 day. (I thought it was dead and then looked up something on the mourning butterfly and how it hangs there before it forms it's chrysalis so I thought it was alright. Everything started to go as the site suggested would happen, the caterpillar hung there for a day and then all of a sudden in the evening it started to wiggle, (it's supposed to according to the site, shake and push off it's last skin) The problem was that it was quite awkward and it's feet fell off. And it fell to the bottom of the container, a few cm so not a big deal, however it was just wiggling around and obviously if nothing was holding it to a base, it could not get itself free of it's skin. I just watched this awkward scene and then went to bed, but when I woke up in the morning I saw that it's spikes had fallen off because of it's wiggling and I saw that there was alot of dark green fluid that had stained the bottom of the container where I had placed tissue so it wouldn't be on the plain plastic. I thought it was dead for sure and then saw that it had stabbed itself with it's own spike. I removed the spike and when I did, it proceeded to wiggle around. I went out and came back later assuming it would be long gone by then and I tapped it with a toothpick on it's head and it...MOVED!!

This was a day ago. I think that it's skin is dead though because it just lays there, curled up. The part which where the spike poked it has gotten white and fat. I fear it has gotten an infection. It is fatter in the middsection, disproportionatley so. What is amazing is that if I tap it on it's head it wiggles it's behind. lol.

I'm not sure what to do now. Is it doomed or is it pupitating? I thought that if it has formed a chrysalis it cannot move. I was wondering just what is happening here..

I'll post a picture tommorow of how it looks.

Thanks =D

Comments (4)

Sponsored