SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sara79_gw

A newbie question about seedlings

sara79
16 years ago

Hello all,

I've been looking for information that might help me with my seedlings, and came across this forum. What a friendly and knowledgeable lot you are! This is by far the most welcoming forum I found, and I joined straight away.

I'm not a complete beginner with Brugmansias, but I've never grown them from seed before. I have to confess that my last one died when there was an unexpected fall of snow the winter before last. I mourned for a season, hoping against hope that it would break back into life (it did once before), but then I came across some Brugmansia Suaveolens White seeds and I'm back on the Brugmansia trail.

My seedlings were sown last October and are now about 2' tall, in 6.5" pots. They've done really well and have been no trouble, but now their leaves are beginning to curl along the length and droop slightly, although there's no yellowing.

Before you all shout at me, I'm as sure as I can be that it's not red spider mite. I've inspected them several times with a magnifying glass and rubbed the underside of the leaves over a piece of white paper, and I can find nothing. I've had to move them around the house a bit as they've grown, and I'm thinking that they might just be responding to changes in conditions and also to their last repotting - I think the leaves started to curl around the same time. I've been keeping them moist but not waterlogged, and the compost I potted them on with has extra nutrients in it (although the bag doesn't say what those nutrients are).

They're currently in a room that's fairly warm with a steady temperature, but the light isn't all that good as it's north facing. Before that they were in my kitchen, where the temperature obviously fuctuates, but the light is very good as it's south facing.

I'm not in a panic about them as they do seem quite healthy, but I know Brugmansias can be very expressive and it seems to me that they're trying to tell me something. Unfortunately, I'm not sure what that is! It's giving me that nagging feeling I get when my cat comes and sits at my feet and just stares at me. He wants something - but WHAT?!

Any ideas would be very welcome. I have many other questions, but this post is already quite long, so many thanks in advance to anyone who has advice.

Regards, Sara

Comments (12)