SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
windyrr2

Are planters with drain holes necessary for Amaryllis?

windyrr2
17 years ago

Hi,

I live in Florida and all my common amaryllis are growing in containers with drain holes. Here they can remain outside all year round. Some are placed in my garden, under my tree etc.

I bought 9 fancy hybrids a week 1/2 ago. I noticed in the Amaryllis store they were in fancy decorative containers, like urn style vases, etc, on their inside display. I asked them how they could do well with out drain holes. The lady said they added a lot of foam packing peanuts on the bottom and only watered a little when the soil was dry. She might have said she used an orchid potting mix also, but I forget. I did like the idea of them being in pretty containers like that. So, for the 9 named hybrids I shopped around to find interesting containers. What I have them in is decorative kitchen crocks, cookie jars, vases and pitchers, and one planter. All of them ceramic. But only one, a cobalt blue Chinese style ceramic planter, has a drain hole in it. The rest don't. I did add lots of foam packing peanuts to the bottom of the containers first and then added a light soft, fluffy soil to it. And the bulbs are kind of elevated that way on top of about 4 to 6" of soil before adding the soil around the bulb to anchor it in. I was hoping this would help them drain better . Plus the bulb isn't buried very deep in the soil . Only half way. And I watered them modestly, not flooding them. They look fine for now. But someone posted that Amaryllis bulbs in pots without drain holes, will eventually cause them to rot. Is that so? Even being very careful to keep them out of the rain and not watering them too much? Mine have always been in unattractive plastic pots with drain holes placed out in the yard. But they WERE healthy, even surviving two hurricanes and heavy rains. I wanted the hybrids I bought to be in pretty decorative containers, but now I'm wondering if containers with no drain holes are healthy. Even taking precautions

Some of them are in the house on my plant shelf or kitchen table. The rest on my covered front porch.

But when they're done blooming they will all be on my sheltered porch( the ones in the containers without drain holes). They'll have to stay there out of the rain.

Sorry this is so long but I need advice from others who grow amaryllis in containers without drain holes. It does seem like they would do better with drain holes for good drainage and to and get air circulating in the bottom near the bulb.

I've had very good success using the old plastic pots with drain holes. I hate to go fancy and then kill the things.

Sorry this is so long and thanks for any advice.

Cheryl

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!
More Discussions