SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
changeling_gw

Winter sowing story, true.

changeling
16 years ago

When I had my home built everyone said wait till fall then have your yard ready and plant your grass seed. This is also what all nurseries told me, plant grass in the fall!

Well I did as they said and I literally threw away 4 to $500.00 in the best grass seed money could buy in two years of fall planting and ended up with a lawn full of weeds and pasture grass mostly!

Then one day I started thinking of when I was a kid (about 13 I think, my father told me we were going to get the yard ready to plant grass seed! It was January! The next morning we /dad dragged this thing (by horse) called a "hair" (spelling?) I think. It was a metal thing about 6 or 7 feet by maybe 4 feet with iron spikes sticking out of it! all over the yard (BIG yard) and then that was it. When I asked about the seed he said we'll wait for a snow storm!

Well finally the weather people said a big snow storm was coming so dad made me get the seeder (round contraption you carried and turned a handle) which slung seed about 6 to 8 feet pattern from "you". I seeded the whole place, cold as you know what!!

That night it snowed like crazy and I just plain thought all that work was for nothing, my dad just laughed at me and said wait for spring.

That spring into summer we had the most beautiful lawn I have ever seen. Trust me, I had to mow it!

Back to present. I did exactly the same thing we did when I was a kid, waited for a snow storm, sowed the whole yard in the best fescue/bluegrass mixture I could get and the results were "OUTSTANDING"! This is what happens.

When the ground is frozen you lay down the seed right before the snow (birds don't get it), ground gets covered in snow which insulates it somewhat. When temperatures rise the snow starts to melt, cracks develop in the frozen ground, seed drops in, water covers with debree and dirt particles.

As temperature warms germination takes place, think of how well weed seed overwinters and then comes up in spring!!

It works like a charm in climates with snow in winter.

Comments (11)

Sponsored