SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caterwallin

So glad I planted False Nettle!

caterwallin
11 years ago

Hot dog! I just went outside after the rain let up and looked at the FN plants. There must have been a Red Admiral nest on almost all of the plants! I now have my work cut out for me, as there are about 50 caterpillars in my plastic containers here in the house where I'm going to raise them. I'm not raising anything else right now so thought I'd have the time to devote to these guys. It's a kind I've never raised before, so I decided to collect as many as I could find. If I recall, they're not hard to raise and don't take a lot of work like Monarchs do, so I'm expecting everything to go fine. I also don't think that they're plagued with diseases like Monarchs can be sometimes. I'm not dissing Monarchs, but I'm sure those of you who have raised them would agree that they require more time devotion than other kinds.

Miss Sherry, if you're reading this, (or anyone else who wants to answer), when you find RA nests and find that the cats have been parasitized, do you find the cocoons inside the nest with the caterpillars or on the outside of the leaves? I didn't notice any offhand, but then I didn't open up every nest either. I'm just hoping that all of these beauties will be okay. I'm so excited about raising something new!

Cathy

Comments (8)

Sponsored